RE: [carfree_cities] Getting kids to school w/o a car

  • Sam Christy
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
      My wife and I both visited Christiania by coincidence before we met. We
      also found our ideal bike there by coincidence. It is a very interesting
      place and by no means perfect but it is car-free. I encourage others to
      visit.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
        Sam asked, what is a dual-carriageway, and how were the cyclists killed. A
        dual-carriageway is a road with two lanes in either direction. And they
        were killed predominantly by cars entering the dual-carriageway from a
        slip-road.

        Answering Ryan's questions: The speed limit has been reduced to 50 from 70
        mph. and the road is urban 19th century.

        Louis-Luc and Henning share my sentiments. I'm preparing a letter which, I
        hope, will provide a reasonable argument against banning cyclists. Thanks
        for the comments, gang.

        Roy P(icking out the best bits)
      • Frank Sierowski
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 5, 2000
          > What exactly is a dual-carriageway ... ?

          A dual-carriageway is a road where the traffic in the two directions are
          physically separated by some sort of barrier. Other people might call them
          "divided highways". There will be 2 or more lanes in each direction.

          from: Frank Sierowski

          <fsier@...>

          The following is a request to anyone planning to send out an email to a list
          of addresses:

          - please do not put my email address in TO or CC with other addresses, (as
          this will send my address to all the other people in the list) unless I
          already know the other people in the list.

          To send to a list of addresses without sending the list itself, use BCC.