RE: [carfree_cities] Another death

  • Sam Christy
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
      In terms of gathering cyclist to protest the lack of adequate access for
      bicycles I can point people to Critical Mass at
      http://www.criticalmasshub.com/ These are bike rides that happen every
      month all over the world - in England http://www.critmass.org.uk/ London and
      http://www.gn.apc.org/cycling/index.html Bristol. I recently participated
      in a car-free day bike ride where over 200 (don't quote me on the number)
      bicyclist traveled through Boston on city streets and met at an intersection
      that is particularly dangerous and difficult for cyclist. It was my first
      such ride and I plan to do many more. I brought my daughter along and she
      had a great time. She is looking forward to our next "bike parade."

      Sam

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
        My wife and I both visited Christiania by coincidence before we met. We
        also found our ideal bike there by coincidence. It is a very interesting
        place and by no means perfect but it is car-free. I encourage others to
        visit.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
          Sam asked, what is a dual-carriageway, and how were the cyclists killed. A
          dual-carriageway is a road with two lanes in either direction. And they
          were killed predominantly by cars entering the dual-carriageway from a
          slip-road.

          Answering Ryan's questions: The speed limit has been reduced to 50 from 70
          mph. and the road is urban 19th century.

          Louis-Luc and Henning share my sentiments. I'm preparing a letter which, I
          hope, will provide a reasonable argument against banning cyclists. Thanks
          for the comments, gang.

          Roy P(icking out the best bits)
        • Frank Sierowski
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 5, 2000
            > What exactly is a dual-carriageway ... ?

            A dual-carriageway is a road where the traffic in the two directions are
            physically separated by some sort of barrier. Other people might call them
            "divided highways". There will be 2 or more lanes in each direction.

            from: Frank Sierowski

            <fsier@...>

            The following is a request to anyone planning to send out an email to a list
            of addresses:

            - please do not put my email address in TO or CC with other addresses, (as
            this will send my address to all the other people in the list) unless I
            already know the other people in the list.

            To send to a list of addresses without sending the list itself, use BCC.