Re: [carfree_cities] Another death

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
      Gather as many cyclists as you can and demand that they ban cars since they
      are the ones that cause the death.

      Take this opportunity to claim the rights of cyclists, pedestrians, dogs,
      cats and children.

      >From: Roy Preston <preston@...>
      >To: carfree_cities@egroups.com
      >Subject: [carfree_cities] Another death
      >Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 16:55:49 +0100
      >
      >What do members think of the following:
      >
      >There have been several deaths of cyclists using a dual-carriageway which
      >bisects my neighbouring town centre, so a debate ensued with talk of
      >banning cyclists -- for their own safety. But, instead, the speed limit has
      >been reduced to 50 mph.
      >
      >Tonight, I read that, because of another cyclist being killed last week,
      >the proposal has once again been put forward to ban cyclists.
      >
      >Is this the way forward?
      >
      >Roy P(hilosophical debate)

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
        > > What do members think of the following:
        > >
        > > There have been several deaths of cyclists using a
        > > dual-carriageway which
        > > bisects my neighbouring town centre, so a debate ensued with talk of
        > > banning cyclists -- for their own safety. But, instead, the
        > > speed limit has
        > > been reduced to 50 mph.
        > >
        > > Tonight, I read that, because of another cyclist being killed
        > > last week,
        > > the proposal has once again been put forward to ban cyclists.
        > >
        > > Is this the way forward?
        > >
        > No.
        >
        > If we have to ban something, then we have to ban the thing
        > that kills the
        > people: the cars. It's totally unacceptable to restrict the access to
        > inoffensive bicyclists (or pedestrians) to a road. We are
        > humans, and our
        > basic need is to walk anywhere we like, or cycle. The bicycle
        > is a vehicle
        > that deserves the same right as a car, so the full access to the road.
        >
        > I suggest to lower the speed limit of cars again, maybe to
        > 40mph, or 30mph?

        Should have said to lower the speed until there is no more cyclist or
        pedestrian death. If it reaches 0, then ban cars. In the worst case, 5 more
        cyclists will sacrifice their life for that community, assuming 10mph
        decrements.

        Ideally, this practice will be done on all roads. If drivers are careful
        enough, then they can continue to access the roads without threat to other
        road users, so drivers have the choice in their hands.

        Louis-Luc
        P.S. Sorry for that self-reply.
        > Louis-Luc
        >
        > > Roy P(hilosophical debate)

      • Sam Christy
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
          In terms of gathering cyclist to protest the lack of adequate access for
          bicycles I can point people to Critical Mass at
          http://www.criticalmasshub.com/ These are bike rides that happen every
          month all over the world - in England http://www.critmass.org.uk/ London and
          http://www.gn.apc.org/cycling/index.html Bristol. I recently participated
          in a car-free day bike ride where over 200 (don't quote me on the number)
          bicyclist traveled through Boston on city streets and met at an intersection
          that is particularly dangerous and difficult for cyclist. It was my first
          such ride and I plan to do many more. I brought my daughter along and she
          had a great time. She is looking forward to our next "bike parade."

          Sam

          Gather as many cyclists as you can and demand that they ban cars since they
          are the ones that cause the death.

          Take this opportunity to claim the rights of cyclists, pedestrians, dogs,
          cats and children.

          >From: Roy Preston <preston@...>
          >To: carfree_cities@egroups.com
          >Subject: [carfree_cities] Another death
          >Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 16:55:49 +0100
          >
          >What do members think of the following:
          >
          >There have been several deaths of cyclists using a dual-carriageway which
          >bisects my neighbouring town centre, so a debate ensued with talk of
          >banning cyclists -- for their own safety. But, instead, the speed limit has
          >been reduced to 50 mph.
          >
          >Tonight, I read that, because of another cyclist being killed last week,
          >the proposal has once again been put forward to ban cyclists.
          >
          >Is this the way forward?
          >
          >Roy P(hilosophical debate)

        • Sam Christy
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
            My wife and I both visited Christiania by coincidence before we met. We
            also found our ideal bike there by coincidence. It is a very interesting
            place and by no means perfect but it is car-free. I encourage others to
            visit.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2000
              Sam asked, what is a dual-carriageway, and how were the cyclists killed. A
              dual-carriageway is a road with two lanes in either direction. And they
              were killed predominantly by cars entering the dual-carriageway from a
              slip-road.

              Answering Ryan's questions: The speed limit has been reduced to 50 from 70
              mph. and the road is urban 19th century.

              Louis-Luc and Henning share my sentiments. I'm preparing a letter which, I
              hope, will provide a reasonable argument against banning cyclists. Thanks
              for the comments, gang.

              Roy P(icking out the best bits)
            • Frank Sierowski
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2000
                > What exactly is a dual-carriageway ... ?

                A dual-carriageway is a road where the traffic in the two directions are
                physically separated by some sort of barrier. Other people might call them
                "divided highways". There will be 2 or more lanes in each direction.

                from: Frank Sierowski

                <fsier@...>

                The following is a request to anyone planning to send out an email to a list
                of addresses:

                - please do not put my email address in TO or CC with other addresses, (as
                this will send my address to all the other people in the list) unless I
                already know the other people in the list.

                To send to a list of addresses without sending the list itself, use BCC.