Advice on traffic calming, anyone?

  • Michael Schramm
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2000
      The neighborhood association in the subdivision I reside in will soon
      be staging a regularly scheduled quarterly meeting. In view of the
      observances I've made on motorist habits here I've spoken with the
      president and requested that he make traffic calming a top agenda
      item. He fortunately agreed and informed me the issue has come up
      before--but I think his reception to the idea was piqued when he told
      me of his recent incident--a driver actually went around his car and
      sped on through an intersection as he was decelerating for a posted
      stop sign.

      Let me briefly describe the situation in my neighborhood for you:
      Approximately 150 homes are situated in proximity to an 18 hole golf
      course, many of which are lined along the fairways. Garages are not
      allowed to face the street, there are a number curvilinear streets
      with cul-de-sacs and streets are relatively free of parked cars. Now
      here's the paradox to that innate visceral sense that automobiles are
      blight on the landscape: The neighborhood completely lacks sidewalks,
      has a 35 mph speed limit and the streets are VERY wide. The end
      result as you might surmise is that motorists have total reign
      here--there are very few pedestrians and bicyclists about and
      certainly no children present. Motorists enjoy a completly
      unobstructed view and can easily drive 40 to 45 mph (which I often
      see) along the main artery. I recently asked a neighborhood patrol
      volunteer why no sidewalks. His response was simply "we didn't want
      them". My response to him was that this is why everyone feels car
      patrolling is needed, everyone is shut inside their "sensory
      deprivation chamber" that passes for a home. Had their been measures
      taken to instill a community bond, i.e. wide sidewalks, speed bumps,
      vegetated medians to restrict driver vision, etc., we could enjoy a
      safe, livable community where people would associate with one another.
      He looked at me like I came from the Moon...

      Anyway, if anyone on this forum has advice to share when I address the
      issue on traffic calming, I would much appreciate it. Oh, nearly
      forgot, the residents who were SO OPPOSED to the installation of three
      neighborhood stop signs (reluctantly put in when motorists were seen
      driving at 55 mph) are now the biggest champions of auto speed
      abatement.

      Michael Schramm
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
        Michael Schramm wrote:
        >The neighborhood association in the subdivision I reside in will soon
        >be staging a regularly scheduled quarterly meeting. In view of the
        >observances I've made on motorist habits here I've spoken with the
        >president and requested that he make traffic calming a top agenda
        >item. He fortunately agreed and informed me the issue has come up
        >before--but I think his reception to the idea was piqued when he told
        >me of his recent incident--a driver actually went around his car and
        >sped on through an intersection as he was decelerating for a posted
        >stop sign.

        Scary.

        >Let me briefly describe the situation in my neighborhood for you:
        >Approximately 150 homes are situated in proximity to an 18 hole golf
        >course, many of which are lined along the fairways.

        How often are houses ever struck by golf balls?

        >Garages are not
        >allowed to face the street, there are a number curvilinear streets
        >with cul-de-sacs and streets are relatively free of parked cars. Now
        >here's the paradox to that innate visceral sense that automobiles are
        >blight on the landscape: The neighborhood completely lacks sidewalks,
        >has a 35 mph speed limit and the streets are VERY wide.

        It doesn't seem as if it would be to hard to put in sidewalks.

        >The end
        >result as you might surmise is that motorists have total reign
        >here--there are very few pedestrians and bicyclists about and
        >certainly no children present. Motorists enjoy a completly
        >unobstructed view and can easily drive 40 to 45 mph (which I often
        >see) along the main artery.

        Is that 35 mph speed limit ever enforced?

        >I recently asked a neighborhood patrol volunteer why no sidewalks.
        >His response was simply "we didn't want them".

        To me that seems quite odd.

        >My response to him was that this is why everyone feels car
        >patrolling is needed, everyone is shut inside their "sensory
        >deprivation chamber" that passes for a home. Had their been measures
        >taken to instill a community bond, i.e. wide sidewalks, speed bumps,
        >vegetated medians to restrict driver vision, etc., we could enjoy a
        >safe, livable community where people would associate with one another.
        >He looked at me like I came from the Moon...

        C'est vie.

        >Anyway, if anyone on this forum has advice to share when I address the
        >issue on traffic calming, I would much appreciate it. Oh, nearly
        >forgot, the residents who were SO OPPOSED to the installation of three
        >neighborhood stop signs (reluctantly put in when motorists were seen
        >driving at 55 mph) are now the biggest champions of auto speed
        >abatement.

        You might want to check out this URL. Dawson
        http://pti.nw.dc.us/task_forces/transportation/docs/trafcalm/