RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Any existing car free cities in US?

  • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2000

      Excellent idea! In the house I currently live in, there is driveway for
      6 cars. In winter it takes an hour with a snow blower to remove snow, and
      in the summer, all pines, small fruit, and leaves fall from trees, and they
      use a gas sweeper to blow this away. Nearly half of the lot is dedicated
      to cars. If I have a chance to buy a house that has a driveway, I'll first
      modify the lot. I'll put a nice plant jar, or another ornament in the middle
      of the driveway right next to the public sidewalk. Later I'll make a patio
      and picnic table on the asphalt. If there are trees next to it, I guess I'll
      remove the asphalt and put lawn. I'll make a nice concrete or brick wide
      walkway right in front of my front door leading to the city walkway. If
      there is a garage, I can't imagine all the ways I can make use of it instead
      of storing a car: put bikes, carts, lawnmower, garden tools, wheelbarrow, or
      even have enough room for a billard table!

      > In the last year or so, I too have dreamed about creating a car-free
      > community somewhere, or redesigning an existing town or urban center
      > to operate without that iron shield we've wedged between ourselves
      > and our neighbors. There has to be enough of us, like-minded folk to
      > make this possible.

      Yes. We just need to gather our forces and start a real project.
      It's contradictory. Real estate agents show that houses on a cul-de-sac as
      an advantage because it's nearly carfree, but some people who buy such a
      house may not separate from his car.

      > I live in Marin county, just north of San Francisco, the so-called
      > birthplace of mountain biking. You'd be quite shocked to see the
      > amount of car (and SUV !?!) traffic clogging the streets of our
      > towns, and an abysmal rate of carpooling I might add. I stand guilty
      > myself, as there is no plausible way to get my children to school
      > that doesn't require an automobile. And, we've NO schoolbus in the
      > district either. 4.6 miles, 1 mountain, and a crowded freeway stand
      > between home and school. Although a relocation is planned, I've not
      > yet found a workable option.

      It's typically the worst situation there could be for a child to grow. They
      can't walk or bike to school, and I guess they can't play in the streets,
      and they don't even have a school bus. I feel so sad thinking a person
      (especially a child) with good health, 2 arms and 2 legs, can't make it to
      school or work because of those cars.

      Me too, I plan to relocate as soon as I find a true carfree city, even if
      Montreal is not that bad regarding transit. That's my ultimate life goal,
      and I want to meet as many people as I can who have the same goal to serve
      our project.

      I sincerely wish you good luck to find a better place in your case.

      Louis-Luc
    • guy@subrosa.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 5, 2000
        I agree with Louis, if I could have one thing above all in
        my ideal city, it would be fewer cars. But I'm kind of impatient
        with those who echo such sentiments without acting on them.
        Anyone who feels this way should surely do all they can to kick
        the private auto habit. I've done so, and nothing has been better
        for my physical and mental health. If you don't act concretely on
        your priorities, and can't see fit to make significant sacrifices
        for them if necessary, how on Earth will they come to fruition?
        Enough talk. Action!

        I too would like to find enough people who share such sentiments
        to make even a single carfree block in a city here in the US a
        reality. But I doubt that anyone who lacks the commitment to start a
        single carfree household, namely their own, would be prepared to work
        for a whole carfree block, let alone city. This is the problem.

        Would anyone who has already met the first hurdle of living carfree
        themselves like to start with me on the next, starting a carfree
        neighborhood, here in San Diego? Give me a call (858-558-1384) or
        drop me an email.

        Guy
      • Mark Watson
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 6, 2000
          Hi Guy,

          Are you inferring that members of this list are not carfree or car-lite? No
          poll has been conducted that I know of. Egroups has that capability.
          Although I'm not sure it should make a difference.

          I read somewhere, maybe here, this analogy: A drug addict doesn't need to
          be clean in order to say to his fellow addicts, "This sucks! Let's work
          toward quitting."

          We are trying, in our own way, to bring about the revolution. Some of us
          chose a house, job, etc. before enlightenment. So it is harder. [But my
          PCFD was Sept 1st, & my car hasn't move since.]

          Leading by example is a good, but not the only, way to fight the fight.

          Also, I believe that this list is more concerned w/ changing the built
          environment to get rid of the need for cars in cities. Not the day-to-day
          struggles of being carfree in the current world.

          A better source for that may be the CarFree list.
          http://www.egroups.com/group/CarFree

          RE:San Diego, Bill Volk bvolk@... is member of that list & may be
          able to help you in your local efforts. Please keep this list informed on
          your progress. I am especially interested because that's my home town & I
          still have family there.

          Mark

          ride safe. ride often. ride everywhere.

          Mark Watson __o