Re: [carfree_cities] Oil Alternatives

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2000
      >Every alternative to oil that I've seen is, within the right limited
      >scenario, viable. But none of them, even all taken together, will allow
      >humanity to continue with the drunken party that has been the last 100
      >years. Even when diminishing oil supplies, and rising prices, make more
      >expensive alternatives attractive, the net energy cost of producing them,
      >and the amount of farmland and other resources that need to be diverted,
      >prevent them from "replacing" oil.

      Not looking for a replacement to oil. Just concerned about feeding people.
      It is important that when the oil is running out, that we have some source
      of fuel for essential stuff like farm implements which don't have many other
      alternatives. This of course would be made extremely costly for all but
      necessary uses.

      Henning

      http://profiles.msn.com