Bio-Diesel

  • unno@uswestmail.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2000
      From: "Henning Mortensen" <henning_work@...> S

      asked...how viable are oil-crops (used cooking oils will work as well) for bio-diesel...

      Gross, using present farming methods, they get about 50 gallons per acre. (Of course, subtract whatever you feel appropriate for the farm machines, and without fertilizers, production will go down).

      To completely replace just the US annual oil usage would require over 5 billion acres be planted in oil crops�

      of course, the US only has a little under 1/2 billion total arable acres�

      in fact, the UN estimates that the WORLD has only about 3.5 billion arable acres� so I guess we will have to completely terraform Mars too�

      Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net