Impotence and Eccentricity

  • Roy Preston
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2000
      I came home from a local Agenda 21 meeting yesterday feeling totally
      impotent! The initiative comes from the Council, so nothing too
      'controversial' can be discussed. Consequently, it's all 'recycling tin
      cans', and 'emptying dustbins' issues.

      I was *bursting* to discuss some of the Big Issues mentioned on this list,
      but I felt like Damien Hurst at a pensioners' painting class.

      I belong to another email list -- type design and typography -- and we have
      some brilliant discussions about typefaces, serifs &c. Not many of us but
      we're passionate about the subject.

      Are we just eccentrics? Perhaps that's not the right description --
      Einstein was an eccentric. Maybe we're just anoraks ('dweebs' in the US?
      Elsewhere?) and that's how we're seen by everybody else?

      I spent 20-minutes or so reading JH's excellent Car Free Times last night.
      To me, it was an enjoyable experience -- hugely educational and
      professionally produced, but even I found some of it tough going, so how on
      earth are we going to get this message out to Joe Public and the people who
      make the decisions?

      Roy P(hilosophical rhetoric)