World Carfree Day in Montreal.

  • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2000
      Hello everyone,

      Let me relate you what I did for the first WCFD.

      I held a presentation at Chapters bookstore in Montreal on September 21st at
      7PM to present Joel's book "Carfree Cities" while simultaneously promoting
      the change towards carfree cities. I expected an audience of maybe 10 to 30
      people, but I got only about 6 people, and we ended up with only Dawson, my
      friend Marc, I and the person in charge of the presentation. We sold a
      couple of copies of the book, so if other Canadians near Montreal want the
      book, well it's there at Chapters.

      I was hoping to form a special group to represent and defend walking and
      cycling in Quebec, especially in Montreal, while starting to make people
      aware that life is possible and better beyond car culture. I know it's more
      difficult to do this in America than in Europe, but it should be easier to
      start something inside Montreal, than elsewhere in the province.

      Well, the ice is broken, and it should be any better for the next event.

      We are going to have more transit infrastructures into the city, meaning
      more transport, more people walking in the city, so less convenient for car
      drivers. There is hope!

      Louis-Luc.
    • Lanyon, Ryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2000
        The best citizens approach I've seen in Canada is in Vancouver from B.E.S.T.
        - http://www.best.bc.ca They support all green modes, not focusing on just
        cycling or walking. I believe they even do contract work for the
        municipality/province.

        -RL