RE: [carfree_cities] Re: Car-free, Coming Soon

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 26, 2000
      >Also how viable are oil-crops (used cooking oils will work as well) for
      >bio-diesel? When Rudolf Diesel invented his engine he used vegetable oils.
      >If your a dairy or other live stock farmer how viable is bio-gas? Likewise
      >with energy from other forms of biomass. Dawson
      >http://www.teagasc.ie/research/reports/crops/4355/eopr-4355.htm

      Thanks Dawson,

      You didn't come up with an alternative tractor, but an alternative fuel for
      tractors. This should work well. It may not be quite as good as diesel oil
      but at least it will work. Actually, I hope it doesn't work so well that the
      world converts to diesel cars powered by this stuff. Just think what this
      would do to poor mother earth, as every arable acre of land is set to grow
      oil seed for the worlds newly diesel converted cars.

      Well at that, I am willing to drop this whole farming thing. Apparently
      alternate fuels do exist, just not at these price levels (a situation soon
      to be remidied)

      Henning

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 26, 2000
        Henning Mortensen wrote:
        >Just think what this would do to poor mother earth, as every arable acre of
        >land is set to grow oil seed for the worlds newly diesel converted cars.

        Well, I guess you could kiss your lawn good bye.
        Also what kind of inputs would be needed to grow the stuff?

        >Well at that, I am willing to drop this whole farming thing. Apparently
        >alternate fuels do exist, just not at these price levels (a situation soon
        >to be remidied).

        Still we have to remember that there are uses for petroleum other than
        burning it. Like take a look at the computer your using right now and think
        about what it's made out of.
        What are we going to replace mineral oil with when the real stuff runs out?
        Dawson
      • Henning Mortensen
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 27, 2000
          Dawson wrote:

          >Like take a look at the computer your using right now and think
          >about what it's made out of.

          Ah, let's just get rid of those damnable computers. What good to they do
          anyway.

          Henning Mortensen
          Systems Analyst.

          But seriously, the point you raise about the other uses for petroleum
          products is a serious one. We may have to dig through landfill sites to
          reclaim old plastics and waste oil.

          Question. If I were to develop a carfree community in a city, what would I
          face? What is the minimum sustainable size? What tax concessions should I
          demand from the city, in lieu of road repairs etc.? What sorts of services
          should be built in? What should I do about peripheral parking? What sorts of
          units?

          http://profiles.msn.com