Re: RE: [carfree_cities] building a car free city

  • Henning Mortensen
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2000
      > >Here's a thought, what about garbage collection?
      >Likewise, I've seen the tiny garbage trucks they use in Paris. Sized for
      >the alleys of Montmartre. Od course a less consumerist society would
      >generate less garbage. I remember visiting a friend in Holland years ago
      >and being amazed that it would take her two weeks to fill a single
      >wastebasket.
      >
      >Richard

      So true, but it may too much to try to break the consumerism at the same
      time as giving people huge amounts of disposable income that they no longer
      need spend on cars.

      Just think what would happen to consumerism when people all of a sudden find
      they have $2000+ a year.

      Henning
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2000
        Tim wrote:
        >>The Earth has enough Cities,
        >>i'm into retro'ing an existing one.
        >>Easier said than done though.

        >yes this is what I have been saying
        >there are good ideas that people remember fondly
        >that will be easily reintroduced
        >that will chill out and romanticise any city
        >parks is one big one of them too

        Dare I say a renovation on a large scale. Dawson
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2000
          Henning Mortensen wrote:
          >You are right that emergency vehicles do have to be rethought. I am not
          sure
          >that in a car-free city, emergency vehicles need take the same form that
          >they do now. The two that I see as problematic are fire service and
          >ambulance service. Police service need not be a problem since without cars,
          >the police can simply ride bikes.

          I remember hearing that when the Pope was visiting the city of Denver, some
          paramedics were traveling on bicycles amongst the crowds and were pretty
          well stocked like even carrying defibrillators, but they still had to wait
          for an ambulance with a stretcher to get some one to a hospital.

          >Taking a node centric design such as Mr. Crawford's it would seem that some
          >level of medical service should occur in every node. Perhaps a hospital per
          >node is extreme, but at least a trauma centre for stablizing patients
          before
          >transfer by rail. Perhaps some sort of electric ambulance?

          During WWII hospital trains were use to transport the wounded back from the
          fronts. Maybe some thing along the lines of a large golf cart could be a
          start.

          >So what do we do about fire service? Leave roads wide enough for fire
          trucks
          >to travel? Redesign fire trucks?

          What size of trucks/lories, street turning clearances, will the vehicles
          need booms depending on how many stories the building are? For right now
          there are far more questions than answers. Dawson
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2000
            >You are right that emergency vehicles do have to be rethought. I am not sure
            >that in a car-free city, emergency vehicles need take the same form that
            >they do now. The two that I see as problematic are fire service and
            >ambulance service. Police service need not be a problem since without cars,
            >the police can simply ride bikes.

            The police will probably still need a few emergency vehicles,
            but routine patrols can be on foot or by bike.

            >Taking a node centric design such as Mr. Crawford's it would seem that some
            >level of medical service should occur in every node. Perhaps a hospital per
            >node is extreme, but at least a trauma centre for stablizing patients before
            >transfer by rail. Perhaps some sort of electric ambulance?

            I don't know about local trauma centers--they require
            quite a lot of sophisticated equipment, I believe.
            Certainly, though, routine health care should be available
            in every district.

            I don't see any real reason you can't use regular ambulances.
            Most streets would be wide enough for them to pass through,
            and the few that are not are never very far from a wider
            street.

            >So what do we do about fire service? Leave roads wide enough for fire trucks
            >to travel? Redesign fire trucks?

            Probably would try to find smaller than normal trucks, but
            otherwise service would be the same as now.

            Venice uses boats for all these functions, but you do have
            to have the canals to make that work.

            >Here's a thought, what about garbage collection?

            Small electric trucks would pick it up from your doorstep
            in plastic bags on designated days and carry it to the
            trash consolidation/recycling facility located in each
            district. I would hope to see large-scale recycling
            facilities in the utility areas. The metro-freight system
            can easily transport wastes from the district facilities
            to the utility areas.

            ###

            J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
            postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com