Re: [carfree_cities] New Directions

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2000
      OK, here's final after some very useful suggestions. Thanks folks!
      Now, please distribute far and wide!

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Carfree.com Contact: J.H. Crawford
      14 September 2000 +31 20 638 6057

      September 21 is World Car-Free Day:
      Where is the USA?

      Except for Boulder, Colorado, the USA and Canada are observing
      World Carfree Day in the breach. While more than 700 cities around
      the globe are observing, even celebrating, World Carfree Day, the
      USA and Canada are studiously ignoring it, even in the face of
      skyrocketing oil prices and grave concerns about energy supplies
      for the coming winter. The EU is actually holding their carfree
      day on the 22nd, while for some odd reason the Netherlands is
      waiting until the 24th. Whichever day, you pick, you'll find
      little to mark its passing in the USA and Canada.

      The future for continued automobility on the scale to which we have
      grown accustomed is not rosy. Oil production is not ever going to
      increase substantially above its current very high level, yet demand
      continues to rise even in the face of concerns about global warming
      caused by burning fossil fuels. Now we are at the peak of global
      oil production, or so close to it as not to matter.

      A carfree day gives the public a chance to experience the changes that
      occur in a city when the traffic disappears. The improvement in the
      quality of life is large, more than offsetting the loss of convenience
      of being able to drive everywhere.

      Over the long term, urban public transport can easily replace the
      mobility lost as cars are removed from cities. The social, ecological,
      and economic costs of shared service are far lower than even the
      current low cost of driving.

      Given that we are eventually going to have to reduce our level of
      driving anyway, the carfree day is a wonderful opportunity to show
      the public the good effects that this brings with it. The sooner we
      start making the change to carfree cities, the longer we will have
      to accomplish this difficult task, and the less painful will be the
      economic dislocations that must follow the end of cheap oil.

      Why, then, has the USA simply decided not to join World Carfree Day?

      -30-

      For more information on carfree cities, visit http://www.carfree.com/
      See also _Carfree Cities_ by J.H. Crawford (International Books, 2000)
      Toolkit for organizers: @World CarFree: http://www.EcoPlan.org/CarFreeDay

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com