Re: [carfree_cities] New Directions

  • corrine.usa@excite.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13 4:38 PM
      I'm making small flyers to announce world carfree day and sticking them
      under windshield wipers. Drivers can't miss that message.

      Here in Little Rock, a new bus depot has just been built downtown... bike
      paths have been marked on dozens of roads... not too shabby for a big little
      city. I think our papers will give Sept. 21 some press - I'll call my pals
      who work there to find out. I've discovered a medium roar around this town
      gets the media's attention... even a small, persistent group can put their
      heads together to resonate the message creatively...

      Also, the bike shop up the street is gung-ho about carfree day. What other
      businesses might benefit from people leaving the car in the garage? (cafes,
      boutiques, gyms, etc.)

      - Lennie

      > On September 21, 22, 24, the nations of the EU (and other
      > countries as well) will hold an annual carfree day.
      > Nearly 1000 cities will take part, none of them in
      > the USA or Canada. Now, given that we are facing an energy
      > crisis and that everyone's attention is focused on this
      > issue by the deluge of media coverage, why is nobody
      > talking about the fact that no US or Canadian city has
      > seen fit to jump on the carfree day bandwagon?
      >
      > I see this as important in part because a carfree day
      > gives the opportunity to show people just how huge and
      > awful are the impacts of cars on their daily lives.
      >
      > So: Question One:
      >
      > What might we do in the next 10 days to direct media
      > attention to the glaring discrepancy between the world's
      > most resource-consuming nations and everybody else, with
      > respect to the observance of a carfree day?
      >
      > J.H.

      Say Bye to Slow Internet!
      http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14 6:53 AM
        >...I think this is a great grassroots method for getting the word out. How
        >about including the car-free web site address? People might just check it
        >out and start thinking. J.H., is this OK?

        Absolutely!

        ###

        J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        postmaster@... Carfree.com
      • Henning Mortensen
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14 9:59 AM
          Could you make the first statment read, "the USA and Canada are
          observing..."

          Send me the final and I will pass it on to the press here.
          Henning Mortensen
          Regina Sk, Canada.

          http://profiles.msn.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14 10:17 AM
            I've sent Joel's press release to the co-editor of New Colonist; with luck it'll be in this week's email newsletter (which you can subscribe to at http://www.newcolonist.com/survey.html).

            Richard

            rickrise@...
            Editor, Living Room Urban Ecology Web Magazine (http://www.living-room.org)
            Editor, The New Colonist (http://www.newcolonist.com)
          • Mark Watson
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 14 12:26 PM
              I like this! But maybe "World" CFD vs. "International" CFD ?

              And there is a possibility for more confusion. Or at least I'm a little
              confused. Maybe someone can help me.

              As I understand it:

              Sept 21 is World Car Free Day organized by NGO's & individuals.
              http://www.carbusters.ecn.cz/WCFD2.htm
              http://adbusters.org

              Sept 22 is the EU Car Free day organized by city governments

              The press release makes it sound like these are the same. And someone
              "checking the facts" might discredit the release because of this?

              Mark

              >>What might we do in the next 10 days to direct media
              >>attention to the glaring discrepancy between the world's
              >>most resource-consuming nations and everybody else, with
              >>respect to the observance of a carfree day?
              ...snip..

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 14 12:59 PM
                OK, here's final after some very useful suggestions. Thanks folks!
                Now, please distribute far and wide!

                FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                Carfree.com Contact: J.H. Crawford
                14 September 2000 +31 20 638 6057

                September 21 is World Car-Free Day:
                Where is the USA?

                Except for Boulder, Colorado, the USA and Canada are observing
                World Carfree Day in the breach. While more than 700 cities around
                the globe are observing, even celebrating, World Carfree Day, the
                USA and Canada are studiously ignoring it, even in the face of
                skyrocketing oil prices and grave concerns about energy supplies
                for the coming winter. The EU is actually holding their carfree
                day on the 22nd, while for some odd reason the Netherlands is
                waiting until the 24th. Whichever day, you pick, you'll find
                little to mark its passing in the USA and Canada.

                The future for continued automobility on the scale to which we have
                grown accustomed is not rosy. Oil production is not ever going to
                increase substantially above its current very high level, yet demand
                continues to rise even in the face of concerns about global warming
                caused by burning fossil fuels. Now we are at the peak of global
                oil production, or so close to it as not to matter.

                A carfree day gives the public a chance to experience the changes that
                occur in a city when the traffic disappears. The improvement in the
                quality of life is large, more than offsetting the loss of convenience
                of being able to drive everywhere.

                Over the long term, urban public transport can easily replace the
                mobility lost as cars are removed from cities. The social, ecological,
                and economic costs of shared service are far lower than even the
                current low cost of driving.

                Given that we are eventually going to have to reduce our level of
                driving anyway, the carfree day is a wonderful opportunity to show
                the public the good effects that this brings with it. The sooner we
                start making the change to carfree cities, the longer we will have
                to accomplish this difficult task, and the less painful will be the
                economic dislocations that must follow the end of cheap oil.

                Why, then, has the USA simply decided not to join World Carfree Day?

                -30-

                For more information on carfree cities, visit http://www.carfree.com/
                See also _Carfree Cities_ by J.H. Crawford (International Books, 2000)
                Toolkit for organizers: @World CarFree: http://www.EcoPlan.org/CarFreeDay

                ###

                J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                postmaster@... Carfree.com