New Directions

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13, 2000
      Hi All and welcome back from summer vacation.

      I'm back in Amsterdam, wondering what to do next.
      Sales of the book are still relatively slow but
      starting to pick up. I'm going to concentrate on
      general marketing of the carfree concept, by means
      of web site promotion, journal articles, and at
      least one major seminar.

      The Carfree Cities conference-on-a-train has had to
      be scrapped due to... the unavailability of sleeping
      cars in Europe. Everything else was possible, but no
      European railroad could come up with the required
      half-dozen sleeping cars. We decided instead that a
      good seminar might be more useful and much easier to
      organize. It'll probably be in Berkeley.

      As to this list, now that traffic has settled down
      somewhat and we seem to have a steady membership of
      around 80, I'd like to suggest from time to time a
      new topic of discussion. Can we begin with this one,
      given that it's so topical:

      On September 21, 22, 24, the nations of the EU (and other
      countries as well) will hold an annual carfree day.
      Nearly 1000 cities will take part, none of them in
      the USA or Canada. Now, given that we are facing an energy
      crisis and that everyone's attention is focused on this
      issue by the deluge of media coverage, why is nobody
      talking about the fact that no US or Canadian city has
      seen fit to jump on the carfree day bandwagon?

      I see this as important in part because a carfree day
      gives the opportunity to show people just how huge and
      awful are the impacts of cars on their daily lives.

      So: Question One:

      What might we do in the next 10 days to direct media
      attention to the glaring discrepancy between the world's
      most resource-consuming nations and everybody else, with
      respect to the observance of a carfree day?

      Regards,

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2000
        > On September 21, 22, 24, the nations of the EU (and other
        > countries as well) will hold an annual carfree day.
        > Nearly 1000 cities will take part, none of them in
        > the USA or Canada. Now, given that we are facing an energy
        > crisis and that everyone's attention is focused on this
        > issue by the deluge of media coverage, why is nobody
        > talking about the fact that no US or Canadian city has
        > seen fit to jump on the carfree day bandwagon?

        I'm making an event in Chapters bookstors on Sept 21st at 7PM to promote
        Joel's book and the carfree concept in general. I'll be there along with a
        handful of friends in favor of going carfree. My friend (Marc) found 3 of
        his friends who are also in favor of removing cars. Unfortunately, we don't
        have dedicated a carfree zone for the Carfree Day yet.

        I've made a promotion sheet in both English and French explaining clearly
        the tremendous advantages we obtain if we live and move around in a carfree
        environment. I got the major university campuses to pin the sheet on their
        bulletin boards. I left a pile of sheets in some free paper dispensers in
        some strategic places downtown, like Complexe Desjardins, and in the grocery
        store in Place Dupuis. A great number of people pass there everyday.

        Since those places are carfree indoors and the volume of pedestrians is high
        of course, the chances to get people interested to extend this wonderful
        carfree habitat outdoors as well should be good. When the typical pedestrian
        will be aware that going carfree is not a dream, then we can more easily
        form a strong group of people to attract the attention and get some of car
        drivers to think it's possible to abandon the car culture.

        I'm sad although not surprised, to know in US and Canada no city yet has
        dedicated a carfree zone for the WCFD.

        The fact that gas prices are high, it's a good time to make promotion, and
        hopefully attract the media attention in North America.

        Louis-Luc
      • Doug Salzmann
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2000
          At 02:41 AM 9/13/2000, Joel wrote:

          >What might we do in the next 10 days to direct media
          >attention to the glaring discrepancy between the world's
          >most resource-consuming nations and everybody else, with
          >respect to the observance of a carfree day?

          Well, ten days is a short time, but we have the Internet.

          How about preparing a press release pointing to the Carfree Day activities
          in the EU and asking the question Joel poses above? We can circulate it to
          as many media outlets as possible and try to stimulate some interest.

          I maintain a list of e-mail addresses for San Francisco area media
          people. I'll bet we can assemble others for other regions, and for the
          national media, without too much trouble.

          My work pile is a little too high to volunteer to write a first draft, but
          I can help with review and editing if someone will take a shot at it.

          -Doug
        • Ronald Dawson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2000
            J.H. Crawford wrote:
            >On September 21, 22, 24, the nations of the EU (and other
            >countries as well) will hold an annual carfree day.
            >Nearly 1000 cities will take part, none of them in
            >the USA or Canada. Now, given that we are facing an energy
            >crisis and that everyone's attention is focused on this
            >issue by the deluge of media coverage, why is nobody
            >talking about the fact that no US or Canadian city has
            >seen fit to jump on the carfree day bandwagon?

            Well, there was Boulder, Colorado. Dawson
            http://www.ci.boulder.co.us/comm/pressrelease/2000/pr000911.html
            P.S. I only found out about this today.
          • Huston, Mike
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
              "I'm making small flyers to announce world carfree day and sticking them
              under windshield wipers. Drivers can't miss that message."
              ...I think this is a great grassroots method for getting the word out. How
              about including the car-free web site address? People might just check it
              out and start thinking. J.H., is this OK?

              Mike
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000

                Doug said:

                >Well, ten days is a short time, but we have the Internet.
                >
                >How about preparing a press release pointing to the Carfree Day activities
                >in the EU and asking the question Joel poses above? We can circulate it to
                >as many media outlets as possible and try to stimulate some interest.
                >
                >I maintain a list of e-mail addresses for San Francisco area media
                >people. I'll bet we can assemble others for other regions, and for the
                >national media, without too much trouble.
                >
                >My work pile is a little too high to volunteer to write a first draft, but
                >I can help with review and editing if someone will take a shot at it.

                OK, here's a draft. Quick review, please:

                FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                Carfree.com Contact: J.H. Crawford
                14 September 2000 +31 20 638 6057

                September 21 is International Car-Free Day:
                Where is the USA?

                Except for Boulder, Colorado, the USA is observing International
                Carfree Day by ignoring it. While more than 700 cities around the
                globe are observing, even celebrating, International Carfree Day,
                the USA and Canada are studiously ignoring it, even in the face
                of skyrocketing oil prices and grave concerns about energy supplies
                for the coming winter.

                The future for continued automobility on the scale to which we have
                grown accustomed is not rosy. Oil production is not ever going to
                increase substantially above its current very high level, yet demand
                is continuing to rise even in the face of concerns about global
                warming caused by the burning of fossil fuels. We are now at the
                peak of global oil production, or so close to it as not to matter.

                A carfree day gives the public a chance to witness the changes that
                occur in a city when the traffic disappears. The improvement in the
                quality of life that follows heavy urban traffic is a large gain, one
                that more than offsets the loss of convenience of being able to drive
                everywhere. Public transport can easily replace the lost mobility,
                and can do it at social, ecological, and economic costs that are far
                lower than even the current low cost of driving.

                Given that we are eventually going to have to reduce our level of
                driving anyway, the carfree day is a wonderful opportunity to show
                the public the good effects that this will bring. The sooner we
                start making the change to carfree cities, the longer we will have
                to accomplish this difficult task, and the less painful will be the
                economic dislocations that are going to follow the end of cheap oil.

                Why, then, has the USA simply decided not to join International
                Carfree Day?

                -30-

                For more information on carfree cities, visit http://www.carfree.com/
                See also _Carfree Cities_ by J.H. Crawford (International Books, 2000)

                ###

                J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                postmaster@... Carfree.com
              • Doug Salzmann
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 14, 2000
                  At 06:49 AM 9/14/2000, Joel wrote:

                  >OK, here's a draft. Quick review, please:
                  >
                  >FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                  >Carfree.com Contact: J.H. Crawford
                  >14 September 2000 +31 20 638 6057
                  >
                  >September 21 is International Car-Free Day:
                  >Where is the USA?

                  Excellent. I could happily let it go as-is.

                  I'm ready to begin distributing this to my contact list, assuming nobody
                  else has significant changes.

                  I'll watch this forum for further comment.

                  -Doug
                • ecopl@n.adsl
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 15, 2000
                    To sort out the confusion on the plethora of car free days, I suggest a
                    visit to @World Car Free Day site at http://ecoplan.org/carfreeday .

                    The bottom line is that any day is a good one to go car free.

                    Eric Britton

                    ecopl@n ___ technology, economy, society ___
                    Eric.Britton@... URL www.ecoplan.org
                    Telephone +331 4326 1323
                    Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
                    Fax + Voicemail: +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)