Support for the Government

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2000
      I do think it's rather important we give support to the government who must
      being feeling isolated by the current situation. In a few weeks there will
      be resentment in high quarters if support - enthusiastic support - was not
      seen and heard to have come from "people like us". We know middle England's
      support (partly impressed by their feisty non-violence) to the bypass
      protestors gave weight to their moral case and helped shift road building
      policy in the late 90s. If the government can bring in bailiffs to clear
      peaceful anti-roads protests they can be respected for being consistent
      about petrol depot blockades. There follows a pompous letter which was the
      best I could do last night. I delivered it to the last post in central
      Birmingham and passed several log-jammed petrol stations.

      The Prime Minister
      10 Downing Street
      London SW1

      Dear Mr Blair

      Despite the current protests by hard-pressed freight companies, especially
      the self-employed who must be experiencing great anxiety about the future, I
      urge you to resist pressures to reduce fuel tax. The risk that fuel taxes
      will trigger global recession must be balanced against the far greater
      threat to long-term world economic and political stability posed by our
      dependency on fossil fuels. Global climate change can bring extreme weather
      events with drastic economic consequences for our interdependent economies.

      Road transport is the second fastest growing British source of carbon
      dioxide, the main climate change gas. Higher fuel taxes could, if your
      government perseveres with them, give impetus to the changes in personal and
      organisational behaviour that could deliver reductions in CO2 emissions and
      give a lead to other countries

      It is vital if attitudes and practices are to change that taxation, even if
      it can only be an interim measure until more precise incentives are in
      place, gives momentum to emerging markets for wind, tidal and solar energy
      and reduces our continued dependence on forms of transport that contribute
      to global warming.

      Yours sincerely,

      Simon Baddeley

      Simon Baddeley