safer cars continued

  • Todd J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2000
      the discussion of the importance making cars safer continues...

      I wrote:
      > Getting genuine CARFREE developments BUILT must be our primary
      > objective. The creation and expansion of truly carfree urban areas
      will
      > facilitate and accelerate far-reaching changes around the globe; which

      > will dramatically improve the quality of life of millions of people:

      My offlist correspondent replied:
      >AGREED, BUT THESE SUGGESTIONS (technological improvements in car
      safety) MAY BE ONE OF THE SEVERAL TOOLS USED TO REACH THE OBJECTIVES.

      Sure. And if safe streets are your primary objective, then your ideas
      could have tremendous effects very quickly, if implemented. The same
      could be said for dramatic, strictly enforced, speed limit reductions on
      all surface streets where non-motorised street users are found to
      represent a significant portion of the 'traffic'. I described how I'd
      like to see this done in a previous message to the carfree list.

      >TO FOCUS ONLY ON THE BUILDING IS LIKE OUR CURRENT TRANSPORT SYSTEM
      FOCUSING
      >ONLY ON THE CAR.

      Well, not exactly... It is a conscious attempt to establish intelligent
      priorities, to focus FIRST on that which is most likely to bring about
      the greatest real, lasting change in the status quo. The quickest way
      to build popular and political support for alternatives to cars, is to
      treat them to an actual, first-hand experience of what life without cars
      could be like. Places with smaller cars, cleaner cars, quieter cars,
      safer cars and fewer cars altogether, are nice... but they offer only a
      tiny fraction of the improvements in quality of life, health, safety,
      urban aesthetics and opportunity for social interaction that carfree
      cities offer. It is my hope that more and more concerned citizens like
      yourself will read Crawford's book and inform themselves about the
      tremendous damage to the Earth, our cities, our communities, our
      families and ourselves that has resulted from our dependence on cars.
      They will discover that the solution to all these problems is within our
      reach. When the timing is right, and enough people get behind a big
      idea, great things can happen relatively quickly.

      Cheers,

      -T.J.