Traffic projections for the West Midlands - do-nothing vs. accelerated LTP

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2000
      I would be interested in reactions to the following data from the West Midlands (UK) Local Transport Plan prepared by John Hawkins of Sandwell MBC (0121 569 4221) covering the key WM conurbations. It includes base case traffic forecasts for a "do nothing policy" from now and the same for a policy putting a variety of Road Traffic Reduction Act Policies into effect including metro extensions, road capacity restraints, show case bus lanes and "hearts and minds" campaigns to get people to walk, cycle and make greater use of public transport. (As I understand it these figures refer to traffic flows within a number of local corridors between for example Wolverhampton-Walsall-Birmingham-Solihull and excludes motorway traffic):
      The base survey figures for 1999 for total one-way trips (e.g. a typical morning commute) were:

      Car: 3609983 (75.09%), bus 1085798 (22.59%) and rail (inc. metro) 111664 (2.32%)

      The do-nothing option projection for 2011 is:

      Car: 4106839 (77.24%), bus: 1082214 (20.35%) and rail (inc. metro): 127938 (2.41%)

      The 2011 accelerated Local Transport Plan is:

      Car: 4069528 (76.54%), bus: 1057459 (19.89%) and rail (inc. metro): 190085 (3.57%)

      I would be unfair not to mention all the provisos about extrapolations from current trends that are mentioned in the report, but it looks as if so far as this report is concerned the main achievement will have been a reduction by 2011 of the projected increase in car trips.

      If others know of this report and feel they need to correct these figures or my interpretation of them I would be very grateful. I am interested in any other comments as I intend to use this data as a context for a review I am writing of Joel Crawford's recent book "Carfree Cities".

    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2000
        Simon Baddeley wrote:
        >I would be interested in reactions to the following data from the West
        >Midlands (UK) Local Transport Plan prepared by John Hawkins of Sandwell MBC
        >(0121 569 4221) covering the key WM conurbations. It includes base case
        traffic >forecasts for a "do nothing policy" from now and the same for a
        policy putting >a variety of Road Traffic Reduction Act Policies into effect
        including metro
        >extensions, road capacity restraints, show case bus lanes and "hearts and
        >minds" campaigns to get people to walk, cycle and make greater use of
        public
        >transport. (As I understand it these figures refer to traffic flows within
        >number of local corridors between for example
        Wolverhampton-Walsall-Birmingham
        >-Solihull and excludes motorway traffic):

        Quite interesting report, was this part of some area origin/destination
        study?

        > The base survey figures for 1999 for total one-way trips (e.g. a typical
        >morning commute) were:

        >Car: 3609983 (75.09%), bus 1085798 (22.59%) and rail (inc. metro) 111664
        >(2.32%)

        > The do-nothing option projection for 2011 is:

        >Car: 4106839 (77.24%), bus: 1082214 (20.35%) and rail (inc. metro): 127938
        >(2.41%)

        > The 2011 accelerated Local Transport Plan is:

        >Car: 4069528 (76.54%), bus: 1057459 (19.89%) and rail (inc. metro): 190085
        >(3.57%)

        The fluxes are interesting, are bus operations in the Birmingham area, like
        that of London Transport? http://www.travelwm.co.uk/buscon/busmap.html

        Also on a personal note, what might Railtrack and the Train Operating
        Companies be planning for the area (other that the West Coast Mainline
        Electrification)?

        > I would be unfair not to mention all the provisos about extrapolations
        from
        >current trends that are mentioned in the report, but it looks as if so far
        as
        >this report is concerned the main achievement will have been a reduction by
        >2011 of the projected increase in car trips.

        >If others know of this report and feel they need to correct these figures
        or my >interpretation of them I would be very grateful. I am interested in
        any other
        >comments as I intend to use this data as a context for a review I am
        writing of >Joel Crawford's recent book "Carfree Cities".

        These are other things I've found on the Birmingham area. Thanks, Dawson.
        http://www.freightcommercial.co.uk/2144.htm
        http://www.travelmetro.co.uk/
        http://www.lrta.org/news/news9916.html
        http://www.lrta.org/mmstreet.html