Car Free Cities Network

  • Todd J. Binkley
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
      Neil,

      You wrote:
      >The first car-free housing development in Britain has recently been
      >completed about 1/2 mile from my home.

      Thanks for the link. Can you give us any more up-to-date information
      about the project? Have any residents moved in yet? Are any photos
      available?

      Does everyone know about the european Car Free Cities Network? Does
      anyone have more up-to-date information about it?

      The Car Free Cities Network was launched by DG XI (Environment) of the
      European Commission in
      March 1994 at the "Car Free Cities?" Conference in Amsterdam. The first
      37 member cities who
      joined the network at that time were committing themselves to
      developing, exchanching and putting
      in place techniques and management methods for the reduction of the
      volume of traffic in cities, by
      actively encouraging the use of more environmentally friendly modes of
      transport than the car.
      Since then, the membership of the network has grown considerably and
      today, the Car Free Cities
      Network brings together some 60 European Cities actively involved in
      strategies promoting
      sustainable mobility towards the process ofimproving the quality of
      life.
      http://www.edc.eu.int/cfc/
      See also 'The Copenhagen Declaration'
      http://www.edc.eu.int/cfc/copenhagen.html

      -T.J.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
        TJ asked about the Carfree Cities Network:

        >Thanks for the link. Can you give us any more up-to-date information
        >about the project? Have any residents moved in yet? Are any photos
        >available?
        >

        >Does everyone know about the european Car Free Cities Network? Does
        >anyone have more up-to-date information about it?

        >The Car Free Cities Network was launched by DG XI (Environment) of the
        >European Commission in
        >March 1994 at the "Car Free Cities?" Conference in Amsterdam.

        True As Far As I Know (AFAIK). It's not actually part of the EU,
        but is a wholely EU-funded venture.

        >The first
        >37 member cities who
        >joined the network at that time were committing themselves to
        >developing, exchanching and putting
        >in place techniques and management methods for the reduction of the
        >volume of traffic in cities, by
        >actively encouraging the use of more environmentally friendly modes of
        >transport than the car.

        Yup. The first conference had the "?" at the end, and ever since,
        it's been clear to me that it was about everything EXCEPT carfree
        cities. Still, they're headed in the right direction. I'm frankly
        a little surprised that they kept the name Car Free Cities when
        that's more or less officially been disavowed by the oranization.

        They were the organizers of the Bremen Initiative (or primary
        sponsors of the local Bremen organizers, I'm not sure which).
        The Bremen Initiative held a conference in, surprise, Bremen
        in June of this year where I presented a paper, "The Relative
        Ease of Marketing Carfree Cities," which can be read on-line at:

        http://www.carfree.com/cft/bremen.html

        There's another, more important meeting in Bremen in the spring
        or early summer of 2001, which will continue the themes of this
        year's conference and is supposed to have some kind of influence
        with the EU itself (although it's non-binding, I expect).

        Anybody else know more?

        Regards,

        ###

        J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_ ISBN 9057270374
        postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com