1- Montréal vs Portland, 2- Ridiculous VW car ad

  • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2000
      1.

      Here in Montréal on the local newsgroup a montrealer asked us if he can more
      easily live carfree in Portland than he does in Montréal. He wants to
      determine if he should move to Portland or stay here.

      He asked about public transportation and walking in particular.

      Unfortunately nobody here seems to have lived in both places for a
      significant amount of time.

      2.

      Amoung the ridiculeness and unreality of car ads, here's one that probably
      beats the record.

      You first see a woman standing next to her bike, another person on foot,
      somewhere on a land with some nature. Suddenly the VW passes really close
      to them and the 2 people start to run after it. The 2 heros are also chased
      by several "ennemy" horseback riders. Suddenly the car brakes and puts
      itself in the way of horses and *miraculously* the vehicle doesn't get run
      onto by the horses (the images before let us think the collision can't be
      avoided). One of the heros gets on the passenger seat, and the car goes
      away, apparently with no more ennemy chasing it.

      This is serious, because the car showed potential danger to people outside
      of it (the 2 heroes), and then the driver has been in danger while stopping
      in the way of running horses.

      So if we assume the best for the company: the person watching the ad wants
      to buy a new car, I sincerely believe he won't be tempted to buy this car
      after this ad because the danger it showed. Furthermore it didn't give
      technical details or price.

      Louis-Luc
    • carfreecrawford
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2002
        Hi All,

        It seemed like a good time for a little housekeeping.

        I've been very pleased with the way the group has developed during
        the past two years.

        The following guidelines will improve the usefulness of the list for
        everyone:

        Be nice! This has always been a friendly, temperate group.
        Avoid posting more than once a day, twice in case of emergency.
        When responding, trim off irrelevant parts of the prior post.
        When responding, please begin, "John Doe said:".
        Keep messages reasonably short.
        Please spell check if your spelling is weak.
        Attachments cannot be sent.
        In the case of short articles, simply paste in the entire article.
        Please include sources and a full URLs where available.
        Spammers will be dealt with severely.

        Regards,
        J.H. Crawford
        Moderator
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2005
          Hi All,

          It's been a while since I mentioned some items of list etiquette.
          Please remember to:

          Trim junk from earlier posts when replying
          Be as brief as possible
          Don't try to be cute or clever--people don't have time for this
          and those whose native language is not English have trouble

          New members are moderated. If I don't like a member's first
          proposed posting, I don't approve it and it won't appear.

          Let's try again to be a little less eager to take up issues
          that are mainly of local interest.

          In general, I'm pleased with the group and the usual tone of
          the messages.

          Thanks & regards,

          ------ ### -----
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
            Hi All,

            It's time to review the list guidelines once more:
            * Be nice! This has always been a friendly, temperate group.
            * Avoid posting more than once a day, twice in case of emergency.
            * Be considerate of people's time - 600 people will be reading your post.
            * When responding to a posting, trim off irrelevant parts of the prior post.
            * When responding, please begin, "John Doe said:" to identify the source.
            * Keep messages reasonably short.
            * Please spell check if your spelling is weak.
            * Attachments cannot be sent.
            * In the case of interesting short articles, simply paste in the entire article.
            * Please include sources and full URLs where available.
            * Spammers will be dealt with severely.

            Thanks,

            Joel