Housekeeping

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2000
      Hi All,

      Time again for some housekeeping notes.

      Quite a number of competent, well-informed, and well-connected citizens,
      designers, writers, activists, developers, planners, and financers, who
      have the specialized knowledge, expertise, political connections, and
      access to capital that we need to get carfree cities built are more
      likely to listen to and join in on our discussion if we keep our comments
      as concise, on-topic, and specific as possible.

      The partiticipation of these sort of like-minded individuals will benefit
      us all, and could dramatically accelerate the development of carfree
      cities.

      Everyone enjoys receiving a word of thanks or praise. Thanking an
      individual subscriber for responding to a query; or expressing a simple
      compliment or note of gratitude for a particularly useful, compelling, or
      inspiring message, will always be appreciated by that subscriber, and
      should be encouraged. Since such messages only concern one person,
      however, they should be sent directly to that person, not to the entire
      list. Similarly, messages likely to be of interest only to two or three
      subscribers should be sent directly to those individuals. Please
      consider whether your posting is likely to be of interest to most list
      subscribers. When in doubt, send it off-list.

      We have recieved complaints about the frequency, vagueness, and
      off-topic nature of the messages posted by a few members of this
      list. For the professionals on this list, opening, skimming, and deleting
      these messages is a sufficient burden that some have cancelled their
      membership in the group.

      Some members also remain concerned about the total number of postings on
      certain days. In addition to keeping our messages more directly focused
      on the topic of carfree cities, please combine the two or three or four
      messages to which you'd like to respond into a single message (with two
      or three or four different key words in the subject line if appropriate).

      As a reminder, please precede all links with a brief summary of the
      contents. It takes time to check a link to determine whether or not it's
      of interest. Remember that 80 people will see your posting--please be
      considerate of their time.

      In order to help save the time of list subscribers, please be sure
      to snip out redundant parts of the message to which you are reply.

      We don't want to have to put any members of this list on "moderated"
      status, but we will resort to this rather draconian measure if
      gentle persuasion doesn't do the trick. We'd really appreciate
      your cooperation in making this an effective list.

      We encourage everyone on the list who has comments, questions, or
      concerns about this to send them (off-list) to one or all of the
      moderators:

      TJ Binkley: <tjbink@...>
      Doug Salzmann: <doug@...>
      J.H. Crawford: <postmaster@...>

      We'll be happy to consider your concerns and interests.

      Thanks,

      Your moderators.

      ###

      On sabbatical until September. Please expect slow responses to e-mail.

      J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_ ISBN 9057270374
      postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
    • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2000
        1.

        Here in Montréal on the local newsgroup a montrealer asked us if he can more
        easily live carfree in Portland than he does in Montréal. He wants to
        determine if he should move to Portland or stay here.

        He asked about public transportation and walking in particular.

        Unfortunately nobody here seems to have lived in both places for a
        significant amount of time.

        2.

        Amoung the ridiculeness and unreality of car ads, here's one that probably
        beats the record.

        You first see a woman standing next to her bike, another person on foot,
        somewhere on a land with some nature. Suddenly the VW passes really close
        to them and the 2 people start to run after it. The 2 heros are also chased
        by several "ennemy" horseback riders. Suddenly the car brakes and puts
        itself in the way of horses and *miraculously* the vehicle doesn't get run
        onto by the horses (the images before let us think the collision can't be
        avoided). One of the heros gets on the passenger seat, and the car goes
        away, apparently with no more ennemy chasing it.

        This is serious, because the car showed potential danger to people outside
        of it (the 2 heroes), and then the driver has been in danger while stopping
        in the way of running horses.

        So if we assume the best for the company: the person watching the ad wants
        to buy a new car, I sincerely believe he won't be tempted to buy this car
        after this ad because the danger it showed. Furthermore it didn't give
        technical details or price.

        Louis-Luc
      • carfreecrawford
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2002
          Hi All,

          It seemed like a good time for a little housekeeping.

          I've been very pleased with the way the group has developed during
          the past two years.

          The following guidelines will improve the usefulness of the list for
          everyone:

          Be nice! This has always been a friendly, temperate group.
          Avoid posting more than once a day, twice in case of emergency.
          When responding, trim off irrelevant parts of the prior post.
          When responding, please begin, "John Doe said:".
          Keep messages reasonably short.
          Please spell check if your spelling is weak.
          Attachments cannot be sent.
          In the case of short articles, simply paste in the entire article.
          Please include sources and a full URLs where available.
          Spammers will be dealt with severely.

          Regards,
          J.H. Crawford
          Moderator
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2005
            Hi All,

            It's been a while since I mentioned some items of list etiquette.
            Please remember to:

            Trim junk from earlier posts when replying
            Be as brief as possible
            Don't try to be cute or clever--people don't have time for this
            and those whose native language is not English have trouble

            New members are moderated. If I don't like a member's first
            proposed posting, I don't approve it and it won't appear.

            Let's try again to be a little less eager to take up issues
            that are mainly of local interest.

            In general, I'm pleased with the group and the usual tone of
            the messages.

            Thanks & regards,

            ------ ### -----
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
              Hi All,

              It's time to review the list guidelines once more:
              * Be nice! This has always been a friendly, temperate group.
              * Avoid posting more than once a day, twice in case of emergency.
              * Be considerate of people's time - 600 people will be reading your post.
              * When responding to a posting, trim off irrelevant parts of the prior post.
              * When responding, please begin, "John Doe said:" to identify the source.
              * Keep messages reasonably short.
              * Please spell check if your spelling is weak.
              * Attachments cannot be sent.
              * In the case of interesting short articles, simply paste in the entire article.
              * Please include sources and full URLs where available.
              * Spammers will be dealt with severely.

              Thanks,

              Joel