Re: inventory of carfree towns worldwide

  • rauch@ai.mit.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2000
      --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <postmaster@c...>
      wrote:

      > >Brian wrote:
      > >I'm surprised to find little discussion on just what
      > >car-free towns already exist in the world.

      > You may want to check on this at TheCommons.org or EcoPlan.com
      > before spending too much time on this--they apparently started
      > to do precisely this "accounting" about a month ago. I don't know
      > about progress, though.

      Here is the link:
      http://www.ecoplan.org/access/general/honor-roll.htm.
      They want to produce a "Carfree honor roll" to present at the World
      Car Free Day in September.

      The following is a thoughtful post on this subject:
      http://www.egroups.com/message/access-forum/111

      (Although not about carfree cities, the following link contains an
      interesting ranking of American cities by their percentage of
      non-automobile mobility: walking, biking, and public transit:
      http://www.bikesatwork.com/information/carfree.)