"You Can Have A Car-Free Life In S.F."

  • jym@econet.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2000
      =v= This *great* letter was printed in the _San_Francisco_
      _Chronicle_. It was the lead letter (with the big headline)
      on Earth Day. Woo hoo!
      <_Jym_>

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2000/04/22/ED48796.DTL&type=printable

      LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

      Saturday, April 22, 2000 -- San Francisco Chronicle -- Page A18

      YOU CAN HAVE A CAR-FREE LIFE IN S.F.

      Editor -- Your front page story on San Francisco's parking
      shortage was one of the most appalling things I have ever read.
      Not because I think this parking problem should be ``fixed,'' but
      because the thought of all those young, able-bodied people
      spending huge chunks of time circling areas well-served by transit
      in search of a parking spot is enough to make my hair curl.

      I have lived in San Francisco for 25 years without a car, in spite
      of a serious back injury I got from inadvertently blocking a
      high-speed police chase 10 years ago. How have I managed to do
      this? The people you interviewed can't even seem to go outside
      unless they're sure there's a car waiting.

      I've got news for them: Their lives will do nothing but improve if
      they stop driving. They'll be healthier, freer and more fit, and
      they can put the time and money they spend on parking and parking
      tickets to much more productive use. They might even find friends
      who will come to their houses whether they can find parking or
      not!

      Here is my advice: Don't wait for us to pave over the city to make
      room for your vehicles. Instead, admit that you're powerless over
      your parking problem, and resolve to start living your lives one
      car-free day at a time.

      KATHERINE ROBERTS
      San Francisco
    • Ronald Dawson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2000
        This stuff makes one wonder what the "costs" of a car based society are? For
        example take a look at what I found at the CBC's (Canadian Broadcasting
        Corp.)
        website.
        http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2000/04/05/cars000405
        Salut, Dawson