Re: [carfree_cities] A URL

  • eyrehead
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2000
      > Hello every body, I was at the Victoria Transport Policy Institute's site
      > when I came over this interesting URL. This is a review of a book titled
      > "Driving Forces", apparently the highwaymen are worried about people like us
      > who dare to say "the Emperor has no clothes". http://www.vtpi.org/pucher.htm

      Hmmm, the petroleum companies spent a lot of PR money to get it into people's heads
      that global warming is hooey; the cigarette companies denied for a long time the
      connection between smoking and lung disease.

      Now it seems the auto companies are going down the same road. I won't clog disk
      space with repetition of my post regarding commuter rail compared with a muscle
      car, but it's apparent the auto companies are worrying about losing market share to
      mass transit.

      Expect to see more commercials that depict mass transit in an unfavorable light --
      some creep who sits beside you, no impulse turns off the road, stuff like that.

      Remember the peace dividend after the cold war ended? Well, maybe there would be
      something like that for families that could get by with one car. How many hours
      do you work to pay for your car, maintenance and insurance? Fewer teenagers are
      killed riding buses than driving cars. Ask why car commercials nearly always show
      people moving fast on an open road that exists only in someone's graphics work
      station.

      Martha