RE: [carfree_cities] Seattle article.

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2000
      Martha Torell wrote:
      >I keep being surprised by the energy of people who try to kill rail
      >projects with the argument that the projects are a waste of money.
      >Okay, no one approves of government waste, but defense spending has
      >provided far larger examples of profligacy for far more years -- much
      >better targets, that are demonstrable over payments, like the $400
      >toilet seats.

      Let's also not forget the "Black Budgets". The USAF does have aircraft worth
      over $1 billion each (the B-2 comes to mind) and my best guess is that
      fighter aircraft could start at $2-3 million each.
      After writing this it's has been two years since I've been in a B-52.

      >But the anti rail group hustles to convince people that what is a
      >success in Europe, will be a failure here, and they focus a lot of
      >effort on killing rail projects. Their objection cannot really be
      >waste because they are letting pass grosser examples of it.

      Oddly enough, trams started in North America then went to Europe.
      http://www.lrta.org/mrthistory.html (Andrew your going to like this.)

      >So why do they do it?

      Nothing to do and all the time to do it. Dawson