Re: [carfree_cities] Can it be tweaked?

  • Martha Torell
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2 6:20 PM
      Doug Salzmann wrote:

      > Martha wrote:
      >
      > > > Maybe we should do something like the AIDS quilt, perhaps the traffic
      > > > death sound barrier. I'd like it someplace visible to drivers. Each
      > > > brick is inscribed with the name of someone, pedestrian, driver or
      > > > passenger who died a traffic death.
      >
      > and Simon responded:
      >
      > >Yes, yes. Something that truly captures the sheer awfulness of what has
      > >happened combined with the astonishing and dreadful willingness of so many
      > >people to accept these deaths as a price worth paying for the "benefits" of
      > >driving.

      Maybe a single stationary wall would not be the way to go. Pressure
      would be brought to bear on whatever authority okayed the inscriptions.
      There would be graffiti, probably auto company financed.

      So I think that maybe we could have those LED signs that keep changing
      to indicate a rising number. You know, like how many hamburgers have
      been served, the number of cars built, the national debt. This would be
      especially cute if it could be placed near an auto ad. Such signs could
      be placed across the country.

      It would also work on a web page. Does anyone know where I might find a
      frequently updated traffic death number that I link into?

      Martha
    • James Rombough
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 7:11 AM
        --- Martha Torell <eyrehead@...> wrote:

        > So I think that maybe we could have those LED signs
        > that keep changing
        > to indicate a rising number. You know, like how
        > many hamburgers have
        > been served, the number of cars built, the national
        > debt. This would be
        > especially cute if it could be placed near an auto
        > ad. Such signs could
        > be placed across the country.
        >
        > It would also work on a web page. Does anyone know
        > where I might find a
        > frequently updated traffic death number that I link
        > into?
        >
        > Martha

        The national debt clock doesn't measure the actual
        national debt several times each second. All they do
        is find out how much the national debt increases this
        year, then divide by 365*24*60*60, and that is the
        average rate of national debt increase per second.

        So, with car deaths, 40,000/(365*24*60*60) is 0.00127
        deaths per second, which is "too low" (too low for a
        by-second count). Even if you take deaths+injuries, a
        number staying constant for several seconds (consider
        how long one looks at such a sign), it might give the
        false impression that cars aren't that bad.

        If we take the number of dollars lost each year due to
        deaths and injuries (future lost wages and medical
        costs), that might work. I don't know what that
        figure is.

        http://invites.yahoo.com/
      • Todd J. Binkley
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3 12:05 PM
          >So I think that maybe we could have those LED signs that keep changing
          >to indicate a rising number. You know, like how many hamburgers have
          >been served, the number of cars built, the national debt. This would
          be
          >especially cute if it could be placed near an auto ad. Such signs
          could
          >be placed across the country.

          >It would also work on a web page. Does anyone know where I might find
          >frequently updated traffic death number that I link into?

          There's a huge LED sign like this next to the Santa Monica Freeway in LA
          that tallys the number of deaths due to smoking. I think it has a
          graphic of a skeleton smoking a cigarette. RICHARD: Is this billboard
          still there? Perhaps the agency that does the cigarette-tax-sponsored
          anti-smoking campaign could be contacted for info on who makes this sign
          and what it costs.

          I'd also like to know about that frequently updated traffic death
          number...

          -T.J.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3 2:20 PM
            At 8/3/00 12:05:00, you wrote:
            >There's a huge LED sign like this next to the Santa Monica Freeway in LA
            >that tallys the number of deaths due to smoking. I think it has a
            >graphic of a skeleton smoking a cigarette. RICHARD: Is this billboard
            >still there?

            Think so. I'll be down that way on Saturday and will try to check.

            Richard

            rickrise@...
            Editor, Living Room Urban Ecology Web Magazine (http://www.living-room.org)
            Editor, The New Colonist (http://www.newcolonist.com)