Subvertising (was: Can it be tweaked?)

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      > what we need, as a community, is to make our own anti-ads,
      > the way Adbusters does (http://www.adbusters.org). It is a
      > technique that works. It's also a two-edged sword that can
      > work for US, for a change.

      =v= Indeed. It is widely-believed in the United States that
      there's some sort of law against ciagrette ads on television.
      There are even pro-smoking groups making an issue out of this
      "government censorship." But in fact, there is no such law.

      =v= What really happened is that anti-smoking groups made a
      series of television ads. These devastatingly effective public
      service announcements forever changed the image of smoking
      in America, and cut into the tobacco companies' profits. The
      tobacco companies, facing heavy losses, called a truce and
      voluntarily withdrew their TV ads.

      =v= The bad news is that there's much less access to television
      these days. Those public service announcements made it onto the
      airwaves due to "equal time" provisions, which Ronald Reagan did
      away with in the 1980s. Adbusters had to raise a lot of money
      just to try to buy time for its Autosaurus commercial, and a lot
      of stations refused to air it because they're so very dependent
      on car advertising.

      =v= Still, they keep plugging away, and there are other avenues
      for subvertising. _Adbusters_ has already made some anti-car
      print ads as well, and good car ad spoofs can generally also be
      found in _Car_Busters_:

      http://www.carbusters.ecn.cz/

      (Buster convergence: The _Adbusters_ site contains an "ad" for
      _Car_Buster_'s World Car-free Day.)

      =v= A friend of mine has set up a "Xerocracy" site. Mostly it's
      fliers, but there's an "Obeisance to Chevron" subvertisement in
      there as well:

      http://www.sirius.com/~chromo/screed/

      That particular subvertisement is from _Terrain_ magazine (the
      one in California, not the one in Colorado), which used to run
      Chevron spoof ads about 4 years ago.
      <_Jym_>