Re: Car Statistics

  • Michael Schramm
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
      >I also found out that every 2 minutes 3 people die from a car
      >accident. Source: World Resources Institute

      >I have compiled a list of figures like these that are really
      >alarming.
      >--Andrew

      This doesn't quite gel in my mind. This equates to some 789,000
      fatalities globally per year. Seems to be on the high side given that
      statistics indicate domestic automotive causalties range from
      35,000-45,000 annually. With the U.S population representing 5
      percent of the global population and expecting a disproportionate
      number of auto related deaths to occur here (say 20 percent) I would
      expect worldwide causalties to fall in the 200,000 range.
      Nevertheless, it still cuts away at the "logic" that the automobile is
      the price we must pay for mobility in the modern age.

      Something like 500 people are dying in car accidents EACH DAY. This
      is equivalent to 3 airliners being downed every day of the week
      throughout the year. I'm quite certain that the NTSB, the FAA and
      foreign airline safety regulatory agencies would not categorize this
      as "tolerable losses".

      Michael Schramm