Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Can it be tweaked?

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
      At 8/2/00 13:21:00, you wrote:
      > What is needed is a "fight fire
      >with fire" approach--educating the masses on how car dependance is
      >wreaking social, environmental and monetary havoc of the highest order
      >within our society. Books like "Asphalt Nation", "The Geography of
      >Nowhere" and "Car-Free Cities" should be required reading. College
      >courses should emphasize mobility issues in Sociology and Geography
      >curriculums. I'm sure we could conjure up many more needed methods to
      >broach the rampant "transit illiteracy" we face.

      I'll get on my old hobby-horse again, and add that what we need, as a community, is to make our own anti-ads, the way Adbusters does (http://www.adbusters.org). It is a technique that works. It's also a two-
      edged sword that can work for US, for a change.

      Richard

      rickrise@...
      Editor, Living Room Urban Ecology Web Magazine (http://www.living-room.org)
      Editor, The New Colonist (http://www.newcolonist.com)
    • corrine.usa@excite.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
        > I'll get on my old hobby-horse again, and add that what we need, as a
        community, is to make our own anti-ads, the way Adbusters does
        (http://www.adbusters.org). It is a technique that works. It's also a two-
        > edged sword that can work for US, for a change.
        >
        > Richard

        Adbusters was my answer to an earlier inquiry about designating car-free
        days. September 21 is World Car-Free Day. You can find more information on
        this at adbusters.org or in the Adbuster magazine.

        Lennie

        Say Bye to Slow Internet!
        http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html