Re: Can it be tweaked?

  • Michael Schramm
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 6:21 AM
      >If we want to solve fundamental problems, not just slap on temporary
      >patches, we will have to alter that infrastructure. In some places,
      >we will need to "scrape it off and start over." That's not
      >impossible, of course. There are monumental challenges to meet, but
      >it can be done.

      I agree wholeheartedly. Incremental fixes will rarely if ever provide
      the impact needed to ameliorate our atrocious mobility problems. As
      in my discussin on DART, upon integrating alternative transit systems
      the net result is that they must compete (usually very poorly) with
      the existing road and highway infrastructure and are rarely realized
      to their full potential. Unfortunately the masses tend to place the
      blame on what has been introduced instead of focusing on the core
      issue.

      A paradigmatic vision is what is needed by the citizens and especially
      the leaders of this nation, but if the population at large remains
      insular and un-exposed to alternatives or is apathetic and misinformed
      as a result of propoganda administered by lobbies seeking to retain
      the status quo, there is little hope. What is needed is a "fight fire
      with fire" approach--educating the masses on how car dependance is
      wreaking social, environmental and monetary havoc of the highest order
      within our society. Books like "Asphalt Nation", "The Geography of
      Nowhere" and "Car-Free Cities" should be required reading. College
      courses should emphasize mobility issues in Sociology and Geography
      curriculums. I'm sure we could conjure up many more needed methods to
      broach the rampant "transit illiteracy" we face.

      Michael Schramm