Re: [carfree_cities] Can it be tweaked?

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2 1:21 AM
      Thanks Doug. (By the way my wife's name is also Linda).

      I'm taking Joel's book off for my summer holiday to inwardly digest for a
      review in September/October in Local Government Studies. I need to write
      something that makes sense to current local planning practitioners.

      It is exciting as well as frustrating to see the tweaking language and
      practices emerging
      because so often that is the only way to make progress without falling
      victim to the paradox of unintended consequences.

      Bets wishes

    • Martha Torell
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2 6:20 PM
        Doug Salzmann wrote:

        > Martha wrote:
        >
        > > > Maybe we should do something like the AIDS quilt, perhaps the traffic
        > > > death sound barrier. I'd like it someplace visible to drivers. Each
        > > > brick is inscribed with the name of someone, pedestrian, driver or
        > > > passenger who died a traffic death.
        >
        > and Simon responded:
        >
        > >Yes, yes. Something that truly captures the sheer awfulness of what has
        > >happened combined with the astonishing and dreadful willingness of so many
        > >people to accept these deaths as a price worth paying for the "benefits" of
        > >driving.

        Maybe a single stationary wall would not be the way to go. Pressure
        would be brought to bear on whatever authority okayed the inscriptions.
        There would be graffiti, probably auto company financed.

        So I think that maybe we could have those LED signs that keep changing
        to indicate a rising number. You know, like how many hamburgers have
        been served, the number of cars built, the national debt. This would be
        especially cute if it could be placed near an auto ad. Such signs could
        be placed across the country.

        It would also work on a web page. Does anyone know where I might find a
        frequently updated traffic death number that I link into?

        Martha
      • James Rombough
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3 7:11 AM
          --- Martha Torell <eyrehead@...> wrote:

          > So I think that maybe we could have those LED signs
          > that keep changing
          > to indicate a rising number. You know, like how
          > many hamburgers have
          > been served, the number of cars built, the national
          > debt. This would be
          > especially cute if it could be placed near an auto
          > ad. Such signs could
          > be placed across the country.
          >
          > It would also work on a web page. Does anyone know
          > where I might find a
          > frequently updated traffic death number that I link
          > into?
          >
          > Martha

          The national debt clock doesn't measure the actual
          national debt several times each second. All they do
          is find out how much the national debt increases this
          year, then divide by 365*24*60*60, and that is the
          average rate of national debt increase per second.

          So, with car deaths, 40,000/(365*24*60*60) is 0.00127
          deaths per second, which is "too low" (too low for a
          by-second count). Even if you take deaths+injuries, a
          number staying constant for several seconds (consider
          how long one looks at such a sign), it might give the
          false impression that cars aren't that bad.

          If we take the number of dollars lost each year due to
          deaths and injuries (future lost wages and medical
          costs), that might work. I don't know what that
          figure is.

          http://invites.yahoo.com/
        • Todd J. Binkley
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3 12:05 PM
            >So I think that maybe we could have those LED signs that keep changing
            >to indicate a rising number. You know, like how many hamburgers have
            >been served, the number of cars built, the national debt. This would
            be
            >especially cute if it could be placed near an auto ad. Such signs
            could
            >be placed across the country.

            >It would also work on a web page. Does anyone know where I might find
            >frequently updated traffic death number that I link into?

            There's a huge LED sign like this next to the Santa Monica Freeway in LA
            that tallys the number of deaths due to smoking. I think it has a
            graphic of a skeleton smoking a cigarette. RICHARD: Is this billboard
            still there? Perhaps the agency that does the cigarette-tax-sponsored
            anti-smoking campaign could be contacted for info on who makes this sign
            and what it costs.

            I'd also like to know about that frequently updated traffic death
            number...

            -T.J.
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3 2:20 PM
              At 8/3/00 12:05:00, you wrote:
              >There's a huge LED sign like this next to the Santa Monica Freeway in LA
              >that tallys the number of deaths due to smoking. I think it has a
              >graphic of a skeleton smoking a cigarette. RICHARD: Is this billboard
              >still there?

              Think so. I'll be down that way on Saturday and will try to check.

              Richard

              rickrise@...
              Editor, Living Room Urban Ecology Web Magazine (http://www.living-room.org)
              Editor, The New Colonist (http://www.newcolonist.com)