Re: [carfree_cities] Montréal: Ile-Sainte-Hélène/Ile-Notre-Dame carfree?

  • eyrehead
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23 7:08 PM
      > Afterwards, and until now La Ronde attraction park continues to operate,
      > but elsewhere it has become a beautiful park with pic-nic areas, trees,
      > playgrounds, etc... Only one bad thing is there are still some roads
      > accessible to cars, and some cars drivers still using them. So these few
      > cars can create all the trouble because drivers drive fast since they
      > think they're lonely. So one still can't walk 100% safely, children
      > can't play 100% safely, and you still can't get silence and clean air.
      >
      > Did the authorities receive complaints?
      >
      > Maybe. A few weeks ago, the poll question of the day from La Presse
      > newspaper read: "Do you want to eliminate cars from Ile-Sainte-Hélène
      > and Ile-Notre-Dame?". I answered YES!
      >
      > Therefore, it's a good idea to continue to promote the carfree concept
      > in
      > large cities like Montréal, to earn, slowly but certainly, some more
      > space available to walk, bike or rollerblade *without feeling your life
      > may be in danger

      I am glad to hear of any success in making carfree oases. Carfree areas should
      considered part of civilized living.

      The suburban model, houses on a grid of streets, will not change readily, but the
      next best thing will be to rigorously enforce speed laws in such places, have speed
      bumps, and block off streets to make cul de sacs.

      Martha