Car Statistics

  • Andrew Preble
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2000
      Simon Baddley Wrote:

      > Drivers do not pay over the odds. In fact the reason I am writing to my MP
      > asking him to ensure that fuel taxes are not reduced is because motorists
      > pay nothing like the real cost of their motoring. Research has estimated the
      > total cost of road transport to the environment at £42 billion per year
      > (Maddison et al Blueprint for a Green Economy (1996). This compares with tax
      > raised from road transport of £23 billion per year (HM Treasury).

      I did some research of my own and found out that the United States as a country
      spends almost 3 trillion dollars a year annually on the automobile. This includes
      all environmental, and personal costs.
      Source: American Public Transportation Association (APTI)

      I also found out that every 2 minutes 3 people die from a car accident.
      Source: World Resources Institute

      I have compiled a list of figures like these that are really alarming.
      --Andrew