Re: older drivers dying

  • Michael Schramm
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
      --- In carfree_cities@egroups.com, "Todd J. Binkley" <tjbink@b...>
      wrote:
      > The danger to old folks who drive or merely RIDE in cars, is
      beginning
      > to get more attention:
      >
      > Auto Makers Retool to Fit an Aging U.S.
      > http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/20000731/t000071754.html
      > (This link is only good for seven days. If you would like the whole
      > article after August 6th, just ask...I've saved it.)

      This is certainly very tragic news but also not at all surprising
      given the recent forum posts on the issue of cars and the aging
      of U.S. drivers. It's unfortunate too that a large share of the
      elderly auto accident victims are dying as a result of trauma imposed
      on their "brittle bones". Unfortunately, this is all too often the
      result of the sedentary nature of many Americans, especially those
      with meat and dairy centered diets. This is not excuse the mistakes
      and oversights by auto and highway lobbies who have forced the elderly
      into an autocentric culture but it does point out that one social
      malady (which is also costing the U.S. billions) often aggravates and
      surmounts another. The automobile has made so many of us obese and
      osteoporotic, heightening vulneribility to trauma wrought from what is
      easily the most dangerous form of personal transportation; a very
      insidious cycle.

      Michael Schramm