Progress in Portland

  • Craig Bollen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      Martha wrote "Limiting car access to neighborhoods sounds daring. What
      did Hales mean
      -- no through traffic, harshly enforced speed limits?"

      I think he was talking traffic calming. The city of Portland is very
      high on Design as a deterrent to speed and car access. There are some
      good (and bad) examples of this all over Portland. The idea is to make
      it difficult to drive fast in residential area's. The thing about
      "limiting car access" that scares a lot of people is that its one step
      away from a gated "community" which the city does NOT want, they have to
      walk a fine line.

      As for the Streetcars. The first line is suppose to be up and running
      next summer. Its 2 miles long and runs through 3 different
      neighborhoods. Its not up and running yet and the city is already
      talking about the next extension. If this line is a success the long
      range plans are to put lines along some of the old routes around the
      city. Hales has his sights on Mayor in 2004, If he gets in I'm sure we
      will have lines going again throughout the city connecting basic
      institutions. I think once we have a system that actually gets people
      promptly to where they want to go when they want to go then we can start
      a dialog about eliminating cars completely from neighborhoods that agree
      to.

      Craig