Silicon Valley and the Windshield Perspective

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2014
      Superb Vanity Fair article on the extravagance and gigantism of new Silicon Valley architecture, how it remains mired in the suburban slough, and why it won’t draw employees away from San Francisco:

      http://t.co/xgfnbH8agj

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.SustainableCityNews.com
      http://gridlogisticsinc.com
      http://www.rickrise.com
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2014
        http://t.co/xgfnbH8agj

        =v= Good article. I saw an earlier story about the Apple
        building that said the design was set up so that employees
        would see an "idyllic California landscape," without cars.
        And yet, the land use in Silicon Valley means negotiating
        a car-clogged California hellscape to get there.

        =v= I used to work near the Oracle building; I think it's
        more distinctive than the article gives credit for, but the
        larger point is true, that it's just another car-clogged
        suburban campus. At quitting time, the freeway onramp is
        clogged with Oracle employees, and as I biked past them I
        could see nearly all of them diddling with phones, trying
        to find a restaurant review that might guide them to food
        for the evening (with lots of parking, of course).

        =v= I've also been to Twitter and it's definitely a better
        way to go, though it shares the self-enclosed approach of
        the Silicon Valley campuses (free food from excellent chefs
        inside the premises). There's some urban revival going on
        nearby, even if employees never have to leave the building.
        <_Jym_>