Re: [carfree_cities] progress in Portland

  • Martha Torell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 12:36 PM
      > Karen Sandness wrote "Ted Piccolo ran for city council on an
      > anti-rail platform and lost."
      > Thank god he lost. Can you image what kind of damage he would have done
      > to Portland. It seems most of our city commissioners actually "get it"
      > here in Portland. Charlie Hales has been aggressively pushing for
      > expanding the streetcar lines and limiting car access to neighborhoods.
      > I had the opportunity to do a question and answer with him for a
      > transportation class I was taking.

      Limiting car access to neighborhoods sounds daring. What did Hales mean
      -- no through traffic, harshly enforced speed limits? It would be
      wonderful if a neighborhood started using streetcars. I hope there
      would be routes by schools, so that kids wouldn't have to drive. A lot
      of parents would be relieved.

      Martha