Re: [carfree_cities] Allison Arieff on Driverless Cars

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2013
      http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/driving-sideways/?_r=0

      =v= This is a really, really good piece. As a carfree person
      in the Bay Area I certainly felt the impact of the BART strike,
      but our most prominent urbanist group came out with a statement
      that ride "shares" (in reality unlicensed, unregulated taxicabs)
      summoned by phone apps are a transit-groovy solution because of
      their flexibility.

      =v= My only quibble is that Google actually does have a Transit
      division that does some very good work. You've probably seen
      the trip-planner on Google Maps, and the Transit layer is their
      work. They have also created the standard information system
      format and processes for transit. None of this has garnered
      the attention that the stupid Google Car has, of course.
      <_Jym_>