Re: Carfree: A Book for Your Consideration

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2013
      Hi Michael,

      I looked through the review to which you linked, and I'd say that it's a reasonably positive review. I gather that you're saying that he missed the point.

      I would not myself agree that the grid is inherently incompatible with the automobile; the New Urbanists are in love with the grid but never seem to call for a carfree grid.

      I can't myself take the time to review your book. What I have done is to forward this message to my Yahoo forum (which has far fewer active members that Yahoo suggests) and ask if anyone there would be willing to read and review your book.

      I know how frustrating it is to have a book that doesn't seem to be getting much attention.

      Best,

      Joel

      >I am the author of the recent book What Killed Downtown? Norristown, Pennsylvania, from Main Street to the Malls. The work is a case study of a once-prosperous downtown that fell victim to the automobile. Its thesis is the Norristown experience provides--free of the emotion that surrounds the subject--solid evidence of the fundmental incompatibility of the urban grid and the automobile.
      >The book has been reviewed on <http://urbanophile.com>urbanophile.com by Eric McAfee.
      >Here is the link: <http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/03/05/what-killed-downtown-by-eric-mcafee/>http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/03/05/what-killed-downtown-by-eric-mcafee/
      >
      >As you will see, the review casts my book as study of the decline of the municipality of Norristown, which it most certainly is not, and was never intended to be. It is thus less likely to reach those for whom it was intended, such as yourselves.
      >
      >I would like a second opinion, and write to you asking for someone to review the book for what it is. I can provide either a PDF or a hard copy, as requested.
      >Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.
      >
      >Michael

      J.H. Crawford
      mailbox@...
      http://www.carfree.com