Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Driving Less v. Eating Less for Weight Control

  • Bob Matter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
      On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Karen Sandness
      <sandness.karen@...> wrote:

      > I know that I've gained weight since I moved back to the very car-oriented city of Minneapolis, which is full of "you can't get there from here" situations if you try to navigate via public transit.
      >
      > In transit,
      > Karen Sandness

      Oy vey :(. I've been gaining weight despite being carfree for 10
      years and cycling, walking, and taking transit. Now, I am faced with
      having to buy a car in order to get to the train station because a
      major bridge is being demolished and replaced, and the detour route is
      too dangerous to cycle on; two narrow lanes in an industrial zone
      bordered by a toll-road embankment and oil storage tanks, no street
      lights, no observable speed limit, no enforcement. Here's a Google
      street view of the worst part http://goo.gl/maps/K7cQc.

      -Bob M.
      --
      If you change the subject line in your reply there's a good chance I
      will miss it and neither read nor respond to it. I do not reply to
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
        Before and after photo
        <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.451567351568230.105545.1902941343
        62221&type=3> of dh - he not only lost 120 pounds, but shifted his parking
        space from handi-spot to bike rack, 2 years after back surgery which
        followed 5 years of being virtually bedridden. Cycling is just one part of
        the story, but a big one. Transportation choices not feasible for us in
        Scottsdale, AZ, helped save his life when we moved to a ped/bike friendly OR
        suburb. Like hubby, I also
        <https://www.facebook.com/CarfreeFamily/photos_stream> lost pounds, and we
        both find ourselves at same weight and (better?) physical condition as when
        we were teens. 2013 marks the beginning of our 3rd year as a 7 person
        carfree family. 16 year old has logged nearly 1,200 bike commuter miles
        since starting a part time job. Happy pedaling!

        Be well,
        Annee
        Carfree Family <https://www.facebook.com/CarfreeFamily>
        Resources for Health <http://www.resourcesforhealth.org/>