Re: Driving Less v. Eating Less for Weight Control

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
      I know that I've gained weight since I moved back to the very car-oriented city of Minneapolis, which is full of "you can't get there from here" situations if you try to navigate via public transit.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness
    • Bob Matter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
        On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Karen Sandness
        <sandness.karen@...> wrote:

        > I know that I've gained weight since I moved back to the very car-oriented city of Minneapolis, which is full of "you can't get there from here" situations if you try to navigate via public transit.
        >
        > In transit,
        > Karen Sandness

        Oy vey :(. I've been gaining weight despite being carfree for 10
        years and cycling, walking, and taking transit. Now, I am faced with
        having to buy a car in order to get to the train station because a
        major bridge is being demolished and replaced, and the detour route is
        too dangerous to cycle on; two narrow lanes in an industrial zone
        bordered by a toll-road embankment and oil storage tanks, no street
        lights, no observable speed limit, no enforcement. Here's a Google
        street view of the worst part http://goo.gl/maps/K7cQc.

        -Bob M.
        --
        If you change the subject line in your reply there's a good chance I
        will miss it and neither read nor respond to it. I do not reply to
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
          Before and after photo
          <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.451567351568230.105545.1902941343
          62221&type=3> of dh - he not only lost 120 pounds, but shifted his parking
          space from handi-spot to bike rack, 2 years after back surgery which
          followed 5 years of being virtually bedridden. Cycling is just one part of
          the story, but a big one. Transportation choices not feasible for us in
          Scottsdale, AZ, helped save his life when we moved to a ped/bike friendly OR
          suburb. Like hubby, I also
          <https://www.facebook.com/CarfreeFamily/photos_stream> lost pounds, and we
          both find ourselves at same weight and (better?) physical condition as when
          we were teens. 2013 marks the beginning of our 3rd year as a 7 person
          carfree family. 16 year old has logged nearly 1,200 bike commuter miles
          since starting a part time job. Happy pedaling!

          Be well,
          Annee
          Carfree Family <https://www.facebook.com/CarfreeFamily>
          Resources for Health <http://www.resourcesforhealth.org/>