Driving Less v. Eating Less for Weight Control

  • jane.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2013
      From an article aimed at runners looking to lose weight:

      "In other words, a mile of driving and 100 calories produce comparable effects."

      Full text at:

      http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/driving-less-v-eating-less-weight-control?cm_mmc=NL-Nutrition-_-1163310-_-01102013-_-Do-Less-of-This-To-Lose-Weight

    • Karen Sandness
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
        I know that I've gained weight since I moved back to the very car-oriented city of Minneapolis, which is full of "you can't get there from here" situations if you try to navigate via public transit.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness
      • Bob Matter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
          On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Karen Sandness
          <sandness.karen@...> wrote:

          > I know that I've gained weight since I moved back to the very car-oriented city of Minneapolis, which is full of "you can't get there from here" situations if you try to navigate via public transit.
          >
          > In transit,
          > Karen Sandness

          Oy vey :(. I've been gaining weight despite being carfree for 10
          years and cycling, walking, and taking transit. Now, I am faced with
          having to buy a car in order to get to the train station because a
          major bridge is being demolished and replaced, and the detour route is
          too dangerous to cycle on; two narrow lanes in an industrial zone
          bordered by a toll-road embankment and oil storage tanks, no street
          lights, no observable speed limit, no enforcement. Here's a Google
          street view of the worst part http://goo.gl/maps/K7cQc.

          -Bob M.
          --
          If you change the subject line in your reply there's a good chance I
          will miss it and neither read nor respond to it. I do not reply to
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 11, 2013
            Before and after photo
            <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.451567351568230.105545.1902941343
            62221&type=3> of dh - he not only lost 120 pounds, but shifted his parking
            space from handi-spot to bike rack, 2 years after back surgery which
            followed 5 years of being virtually bedridden. Cycling is just one part of
            the story, but a big one. Transportation choices not feasible for us in
            Scottsdale, AZ, helped save his life when we moved to a ped/bike friendly OR
            suburb. Like hubby, I also
            <https://www.facebook.com/CarfreeFamily/photos_stream> lost pounds, and we
            both find ourselves at same weight and (better?) physical condition as when
            we were teens. 2013 marks the beginning of our 3rd year as a 7 person
            carfree family. 16 year old has logged nearly 1,200 bike commuter miles
            since starting a part time job. Happy pedaling!

            Be well,
            Annee
            Carfree Family <https://www.facebook.com/CarfreeFamily>
            Resources for Health <http://www.resourcesforhealth.org/>