Re: [carfree_cities] Re: NYT on "No More Industrial Revoutions"

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2012
      Well, if economic growth occurs in non-material sectors (e.g., massage, teaching) then continued GDP growth IS possible. What has to stop and actually reverse is the TOTAL consumption of resources. Just cutting consumption per dollar of GDP is not enough, as this can still lead to increasing resource consumption. We must actually go backwards, and quite some ways. Of course, real recycling (as opposing to bundling plastics and sending them to China for burning) can help considerably.

      I ran into considerable opposition to this viewpoint at the degrowth conference in Venice this past September.

      J.

      >It depends how you define growth. If we were looking at growth of well-being rather than consumption, then obviously we could achieve it with less energy use. If we wish to continue seeing GDP grow, then we need to keep burning fuel despite the consequences (and likely impossibility). So it would be good if we agreed that we want growth in walking, cycling, public transit, friendliness, strong communities, healthy interactions, fun.......

      J.H. Crawford
      mailbox@...
      http://www.carfree.com
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/carfreecities