Re: [carfree_cities] large data visualization applied to transport

  • Eric Fischer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2012
      I can't speak for anybody else, but I think we can learn a lot about cities
      and transportation from the "big data" approach, and I am trying to do it.
      I've posted the maps from most of my projects at
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets

      My main sources are geotagged tweets and photos, which provide a pretty
      extensive record of what places people go to and in what sequence, and GPS
      tracks wherever I can get them, including NextBus vehicle location feeds.

      There is plenty more to be done. Phone companies probably have the most
      comprehensive records of actual mobility, and there is a company called
      AirSage that aggregates those for origin-destination studies.

      Please drop me a line if you'd like to talk more.

      Eric Fischer
      enf@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2012
        The US census asks households about travel patterns every few years. Here's a link:
        http://nhts.ornl.gov/

        SWITRS is a database of road crashes in California, however counting only ones that generate a police report:
        http://iswitrs.chp.ca.gov/Reports/jsp/userLogin.jsp

        Los Angeles has a crowdsourced map of bicycle crashes and near misses, devised by a PhD statistician, lots of data:
        http://bikesidela.org/labikemap/main

        These might help you decide whether to go forward with your project, which sounds worthy.

        Regards,

        Rick

        http://www.bicyclefixation.com
        http://www.SustainableCityNews.com