large data visualization applied to transport

  • catecara
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2012
      Hi all,

      I would like to have your feedback about an idea for a possible case
      study for a project that we have just started thinking of (this is the
      early stage of project proposal-making).

      The project is about reasearch in the area of visual analytics, i.e.
      visualization of large scale datasets (from terabyte up). At this
      point we have identified a few use cases -- applications where
      appropriate visualization of big data makes the difference (and it is
      difficult to achieve).

      My Big question is: does it make sense to think of a use case in the
      area of transport? (I am being general here: any type of
      transportation means in any combination, over any distance, or
      timeline).

      Implied questions:

      - Is there big data about traffic, transports and the like available?
      My feeling is that if such data is available, good
      processing/visualization could help understing traffic fluxes, and
      improve optimization.

      - is somebody working on this or related issues already? transport
      companies, reasearch institutes, ... ?

      I hope I described the situation clearly, if you have question please
      just ask. Many thanks in advance!

      Best
      Caterina
    • Eric Fischer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2012
        I can't speak for anybody else, but I think we can learn a lot about cities
        and transportation from the "big data" approach, and I am trying to do it.
        I've posted the maps from most of my projects at
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets

        My main sources are geotagged tweets and photos, which provide a pretty
        extensive record of what places people go to and in what sequence, and GPS
        tracks wherever I can get them, including NextBus vehicle location feeds.

        There is plenty more to be done. Phone companies probably have the most
        comprehensive records of actual mobility, and there is a company called
        AirSage that aggregates those for origin-destination studies.

        Please drop me a line if you'd like to talk more.

        Eric Fischer
        enf@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 23, 2012
          The US census asks households about travel patterns every few years. Here's a link:
          http://nhts.ornl.gov/

          SWITRS is a database of road crashes in California, however counting only ones that generate a police report:
          http://iswitrs.chp.ca.gov/Reports/jsp/userLogin.jsp

          Los Angeles has a crowdsourced map of bicycle crashes and near misses, devised by a PhD statistician, lots of data:
          http://bikesidela.org/labikemap/main

          These might help you decide whether to go forward with your project, which sounds worthy.

          Regards,

          Rick

          http://www.bicyclefixation.com
          http://www.SustainableCityNews.com