less fuel, better life

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2012
      Regarding Joel's point 3, may I add that reducing greenhouse gas emissions, rather than being economically disastrous (as Michael Lewis claims) could be enormously beneficial. Investing less in road and car infrastructure would free up vast resources for better public transit, as well as conditions for walking and cycling. Many of the necessary changes would be worth making even without climate change, as they would help reduce the international epidemic of obesity and non-communicable disease, reduce the million deaths each year from road crashes, and so on. Much of the world already does not have seemingly limitless access to fossil fuel and thus has to conserve, like it or not. Americans, consuming vastly more than their share of the world's resources, are living in a bubble which someday will have to burst. Better to start reducing energy use now and thus decrease the likelihood of future disaster. (As if to illustrate my point, as I'm typing this,
      the electricity just went out. Get used to it, guys!)