RE: [carfree_cities] Individual pedestrian activism

  • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2000
      > >For many years I've tried to think of actions individual
      > >pedestrians could take against a motorist behaving
      > >dangerously.
      > >I've disucssed this issue with many people, and we've yet
      > >to think of any effective action that a pedestrian could
      > >take that did not endanger somebody.
      > >Anybody have any thoughts about this?
      >
      > How about surreptitiously videotaping the dangerous behavior and
      > fowarding it to the police?

      That's a good idea. It's even better than the stick because the police can
      identify the faulty driver. When technology will allow it, every pedestrian
      should bear one or many mini cameras pinned to a waist pocket or a back
      belt. That cameras would record in real time what happens around you. No
      other than you would know you have captured the dangerous driver, at least
      not before everyone wears such a camera.

      Louis-Luc
    • stefan PeterseN
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6, 2000
        Where I live (Calgary, Alberta) cars rule the streets for sure. They are
        often totally oblivious to anything on the sidewalk. In this sprawl-city
        pedestrians are rare sometimes. I deal everyday with motorists messing with
        my personal space. Often friendliness works well; making eye contact,
        making the stop sign, sometimes I shake my finger at people. When they
        straight cut me off though, I'll go up and wack the side of their car, it
        does no damage but it is effective and sometimes shocking to them.

        I find walking slowly across crosswalks to be particularily effective.
        Around here you're always getting nudged out of crosswalks by drivers making
        lefthand turns. I stop to cough, or adopt a limp, sometimes I stop as soon
        as they start to go through. Some drivers rush so much they miss you by
        mere inches.

        peace- stefan

        >From: "Louis-Luc Le Guerrier" <exqmtl@...>
        >To: <carfree_cities@egroups.com>
        >Subject: RE: [carfree_cities] Individual pedestrian activism
        >Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 16:25:03 -0400
        >
        > > >For many years I've tried to think of actions individual
        > > >pedestrians could take against a motorist behaving
        > > >dangerously.
        > > >I've disucssed this issue with many people, and we've yet
        > > >to think of any effective action that a pedestrian could
        > > >take that did not endanger somebody.
        > > >Anybody have any thoughts about this?
        > >
        > > How about surreptitiously videotaping the dangerous behavior and
        > > fowarding it to the police?
        > >

        >That's a good idea. It's even better than the stick because the police can
        >identify the faulty driver. When technology will allow it, every pedestrian
        >should bear one or many mini cameras pinned to a waist pocket or a back
        >belt. That cameras would record in real time what happens around you. No
        >other than you would know you have captured the dangerous driver, at least
        >not before everyone wears such a camera.
        >
        >Louis-Luc

      • Louis-Luc Le Guerrier
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2000

          > Where I live (Calgary, Alberta) cars rule the streets for
          > sure. They are
          > often totally oblivious to anything on the sidewalk. In this
          > sprawl-city
          > pedestrians are rare sometimes. I deal everyday with
          > motorists messing with
          > my personal space. Often friendliness works well; making eye
          > contact,
          > making the stop sign, sometimes I shake my finger at people.
          > When they
          > straight cut me off though, I'll go up and wack the side of
          > their car, it
          > does no damage but it is effective and sometimes shocking to them.

          Many people here in Quebec say that pedestrians are
          more respected in any other Canadian province. I'm disappointed to see it's
          not much better in Calgary. I've never been to the Prairies so I can't
          compare, I imagine them as vast fields where you get off Via Rail and walk
          peacefully between 2 wheat lanes and fiddle the path to
          the front door.

          Are motorists in Calgary allowed to turn right on red light? If so do they
          free the crosswalk and stop if any pedestrian is heading to cross in front
          on their green light? In Quebec the red light car turn is not allowed and I
          hope it'll never happen, although the Transport Minister said they might
          allow it someday, but Montreal mobility responsible and a vast number of
          Pedestrians raised up against that threat.

          > I find walking slowly across crosswalks to be particularily effective.
          > Around here you're always getting nudged out of crosswalks by
          > drivers making
          > lefthand turns. I stop to cough, or adopt a limp, sometimes
          > I stop as soon
          > as they start to go through. Some drivers rush so much they
          > miss you by
          > mere inches.

          That's unfair. Will those motorists turning left interfere with another car
          coming the other way? If no then the same answer must stand for cyclists and
          of course pedestrians coming the other way.

          I feel that the worst problem with the car is the harm it does to
          pedestrians. I feel cheated when a driver uses his vehicle to threaten me
          and cut my way when I have right of way and that's why in the other text I
          told I sometimes used a stick as a defending tool or just remainder.

          I hope we'll soon come up with a decent solution to make
          walking pleasent (and neither a war nor an inclinement) in cities with cars.
          I find my mobility is reduced because of those speedy beasts, and I'm
          (excuse the phrase) "fed up with this thing". My heart tells me I'm supposed
          to walk peacefully on this planet and my body is constantly searching a
          place to do so.

          Louis-Luc
        • Bruce Minturn
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2000
            In Seattle, I've adopted similar techniques to Stefan's, like the slow
            crossing of streets. Occassionally, drivers will honk to inform me of their
            impatience. I have considered carrying an compressed-air horn, the kind
            found on small boats, to honk back, but haven't done so yet.
            Bruce

            > Where I live (Calgary, Alberta) cars rule the streets for sure. They are
            > often totally oblivious to anything on the sidewalk. In this sprawl-city
            > pedestrians are rare sometimes. I deal everyday with motorists messing
            with
            > my personal space. Often friendliness works well; making eye contact,
            > making the stop sign, sometimes I shake my finger at people. When they
            > straight cut me off though, I'll go up and wack the side of their car, it
            > does no damage but it is effective and sometimes shocking to them.
            >
            > I find walking slowly across crosswalks to be particularily effective.
            > Around here you're always getting nudged out of crosswalks by drivers
            making
            > lefthand turns. I stop to cough, or adopt a limp, sometimes I stop as
            soon
            > as they start to go through. Some drivers rush so much they miss you by
            > mere inches.
            >
            > peace- stefan
          • Ronald Dawson
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2000
              Stefan Petersen wrote:
              >Where I live (Calgary, Alberta) cars rule the streets for sure. They are
              >often totally oblivious to anything on the sidewalk. In this sprawl-city
              >pedestrians are rare sometimes. I deal everyday with motorists messing
              with
              >my personal space. Often friendliness works well; making eye contact,
              >making the stop sign, sometimes I shake my finger at people. When they
              >straight cut me off though, I'll go up and wack the side of their car, it
              >does no damage but it is effective and sometimes shocking to them.

              Thanks for the information, I'm going to be in Calgary later this month.
              Calgary dose have some nice pedestrian areas like the Eau Clair Market, the
              banks of the Bow River and another interesting place is 17 Avenue South
              West. Also transit wise Calgary is one of two Canadian cities to have light
              rail (C-Train) the other one is Edmonton a 180 miles to the north.
              To me the best carfree place in Calgary would have to be Heritage Park.

              >I find walking slowly across crosswalks to be particularily effective.
              >Around here you're always getting nudged out of crosswalks by drivers
              making
              >lefthand turns. I stop to cough, or adopt a limp, sometimes I stop as soon
              >as they start to go through. Some drivers rush so much they miss you by
              >mere inches.

              Interesting techniques, but getting use to the way Calgary's "urban cowboys"
              drive is some thing else. Dawson