Fwd: UK Academic Research - Visioning Urban Futures

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hi All,

      I had this message from Jeremy Leach.

      The animations don't work for me, but the PDF is fine and clear enough.

      I'd be interested to know if the animations work for others.

      Best,

      Joel

      I hope you are well and thanks for all the fabulous work you do.

      You might be interested in this. On Wednesday I went to a meeting in London and there was a presentation there from an academic - Prof Miles Tight - on a project he had done called Visions2030 about transport in cities in the future. The outcome was interesting but the process was more so. They had created a website:

      http://www.visions2030.org.uk

      on which there is a series of animations of how urban settings might develop. There is also an academic paper too which I attach.

      If you look at the animations, the following is the basis for each of the 3 different visions in terms of modal share (%) (Vision 0 is the present day - each row totals 100%). Vision 3 - is a sort of post fossil fuel collapse scenario.

      Current Situation (2006)
      Vision 1
      Vision 2
      Vision 3
      Walk
      28
      32
      37
      40
      Cycle
      1
      13
      23
      40
      Public Transport
      12
      25
      35
      15
      Car
      59
      30
      5
      5

      I hope that this is of interest to you. Prof Tight m.r.tight@... seemed a really approachable kind of person.

      Best wishes - Jeremy Leach London

      <file://D:\eudora603\raq\incomingAttach\Visions2030Paper-21Sep12.pdf>
      Visions2030Paper-21Sep12.pdf
      <file://D:\eudora603\raq\incomingAttach\Visions2030Paper-21Sep12.pdf> Visions2030Paper-21Sep12.pdf

      J.H. Crawford
      mailbox@...
      http://www.carfree.com
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/carfreecities