Re: [carfree_cities] Flip side of induced demand

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2012
      http://www.onestreet.org/resources-for-increasing-bicycling/115-traffic-evaporation

      =v= Thanks, I try to explain traffic evaporation (and Braess's
      Paradox) to people, and it would be nice to have a resource like
      this to point to. I find that a lot of people can grasp induced
      demand, but any notion of removing car accommodation will strike
      fear into the very depths of their petroleum-powered being.

      =v= San Francisco has seen traffic evaporation on a grander
      scale than the parklet mentioned in the video at the website.
      Two freeways were damaged in the 1989 earthquake, and parts
      were eventually torn down. The local media freaked out, and
      even predicted "post-apocalyptic" traffic conditions, but it
      didn't materialize. Instead we saw traffic evaporation.
      <_Jym_>