New record ice minimum

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2012
      Hi All,

      We've been headed for this for months. Now it's finally arrived:

      Today's reported Arctic ice cover is lower than ever before recorded, marking the most extreme ice loss in six consecutive summers of severe (and unprecedented) ice loss: 2.87746 million square km. It ought to be around 5 million.

      The worst of this is that the annual ice minimum usually occurs a month from today, so there is still a month of likely melt to come. The rate of melting drops off along about now, but it typically continues until the equinox.

      I have no real idea what this means for us all, but I'm sure it's not good.

      J.H. Crawford
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/carfreecities
      Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/jhcrawford/videos
      YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CarfreeCities