Fwd: Support Ecocity Builders' Proposal to Rio+20 UNCSD

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 6:39 AM
      Hi All,

      I think this effort, from Ecocity Builders, for the Rio+20 meeting is probably worth engaging with; the deadline is 3 June 2012, so hurry! Here is the posting I made to my profile:

      ------------------------------

      Adopt the carfree city as the cornerstone for sustainable urbanism

      J.H. Crawford
      Sustainable cities and innovation

      The carfree city is the most sustainable, least expensive form of urbanism. It dramatically reduced transport-related energy consumption and emissions. No proposal to retain automobile use in cities can achieve the same level of benefits. This relates not only to energy itself but also to the materials required to build and maintain large fleets of cars. Energy-efficient public transport, bicycles, and walking can meet transport needs with a tiny fraction of the impacts of automobiles.

      The carfree city makes far more efficient use of land. No land need be provided for car parking, and streets can be a small fraction of the width required to permit widespread car use. Less land is hardened, so stormwater runoff is a smaller problem.

      At the same time, the carfree city provides an improvement in the quality of urban life second to none. The danger from cars is eliminated, noise is greatly reduced, and high-quality social spaces arise spontaneously once cars are removed.

      The concepts are described in detail at http://www.carfree.com . The books _Carfree Cities_ and _Carfree Design Manual_ provide detailed information about how to build new carfree cities and convert existing cities to the carfree model. The approach is based on a mathematical analysis. It relies heavily on traditional patterns of urban development.

      [There seems to be a problem with hash-tag support.]

      Joel

      J.H. Crawford
      mailbox@...
      http://www.carfree.com